MMI RATING NOW WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Thu, Jul 27 2006 5:55 AM by BOB7. 7 replies.
  • Sat, Jul 15 2006 8:40 AM

• BOB7
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 15 2006
    • Posts 10

MMI RATING NOW WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

HI
    IM new to this workers comp stuff briefly just need a few things
    1]Dr put me at 20% whats that mean?
    2]Dr. said need retrained for different type work what happens now?
    3]will my comp stop paying now?
    4] will they offer me a settlement? whats exceptible?
    thank you in advance for your help just dont know what to do
  • Sat, Jul 15 2006 4:27 PM In reply to

re: MMI RATING NOW WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

1. 20% is used to determine the number of weeks of impairment benefits you will receive. Please take a look at florida statute 440.15 for how the benefit is calculated.

2. If you need to be retrained you can call vocational services, which is a division of the sate of florida department of education, and see if you qualify for retraining services. WC will have the number for your area.

3. Comp will stop you current payments and substitute the impairment benefits mentioned in #1.

4. Most carriers will discuss settlement at this time. What is acceptable depends on your circumstances, which is too involed to discuss on a message board. Settlement involves giving up your right to receive medical care, and my advice to clients varies widely, depending on their circumstance.
  • Sat, Jul 15 2006 10:31 PM In reply to

• BOB7
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10

Question [=?] re: MMI RATING NOW WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY
    BUT STILL CONFUSED ON THE RATING OF 20% IS THIS A LOW OR HIGH RATING ONLY REASON I ASK IS BECAUSE OF THE DR. TELLING ME HE SENT MY CASEWORKER A REPORT STATING I CANT CONTINUE DOING MY JOB AND NEED TO BE TRAINED IN SOME OTHER LINE OF WORK I KNOW THAT WHEN THEY SENT ME FOR THE FCE TEST I THINK IS WHAT IT WAS CALLED THE THERIPIST TOLD ME I ONLY HAD 1/3RD THE USE OF MY LEFT HAND ITS HARD FOR ME TO GET ANY AWNSERS FROM THE CASEWORKER SHE WONT TELL ME ANYTHING AND I NEED TO KNOW WHAT TO DO OR SHOULD I JUST PLAY THE WAIT GAME WITH WC REALLY CONFUSED NEED HELP
    THANK YOU
  • Sun, Jul 16 2006 9:36 AM In reply to

Ok [+0+] Bob-

I'm really sorry for your situation.

I would just like to gently remind you to please use upper and lower case so that your question will be easier to read.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Sharon
  • Mon, Jul 17 2006 6:03 AM In reply to

• BOB7
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10

Question [=?] re: Bob-

HI
    Sorry about caps but still would like to know
    1] is 20% rating high or low and what should i expect from this phase of the system this was the mmi rating Dr. gave me?
    2]Dr. also stated in writing to wc that i cant return to my job of the last 15 years and told them to retrain in other field
    3]comp sent me for a test 3 month ago with a pt that was more like a stress test then a test to see my abilitys with my injured hand what was that all about therapist said i only had 1/3rd use of my left hand and that was the last i heard of this
    4]comp also sent a person to speak to me on my work history and training over 3 month ago never heard anymore from that either
    5]ive spoke to my caseworker agian and agian and cant get an awnser to any of the above quistions she just tells me that its only my hand so it wont be very much of anything do i need a lawyer or should i play the wait game with comp
    thanx agian
    bob
  • Mon, Jul 17 2006 8:23 PM In reply to

re: Bob-

1) If it is a 20% whole body impairment rating, it is fairly high. But in the grand scheme of things ratings mean very little, other than correlating to the # of weeks you will receive IB benefits.
    2) WC has no legal obligation to retrain you. So unless the state decides to put you in a retraining program, you are not going to receive retraining unless you make arrangements yourself. All WC is required to do is pay you rehab TTD benefits if you are accepted into a program, and that is for a limited period. They don't find you a program.
    3) Probably an FCE exam. Most of the carriers efforts with these kinds of tests, and vocational counseling is to allow the doctor to conclude you can return to work in some capacity. Not to actually provide you retraining. That responsibility was cut out of the statute ages ago. Too expensive.
    4) See #3.
    5) Reality time. The wc statute is not designed to assist you getting back to work or with retraining. When you reach MMI, the carrier calculates what the owe you based on your 20% rating and begins payments and that's it. As long as the carrier believes you are capable of any work, be it a $5.15 an hour job, their obligation to you, except for medical care, ends. The state program of retraining is a joke now, offering classes in telephone sales. Only workers with permanently and totally disabling injuries are eligible for continued lost wages. So 95% of the people injured, those that had a high paying job and now have to earn less because of their injuries, are not compensated for that loss. You do not recover.
    That is the Florida legislature's idea of sharing the burden of work related injuries between labor and employers. They pay to patch you up, and you are on your own from then on. Or to sum up, the Florida legislature has 2 constituants with opposing goals. Workers who want protection, and business who wants very low WC premiums. Now who do you think had more money to spread around in Tallahassee, injured workers or business? Don't you listen to the Tom Gallagher for govenor TV ad? He's the man that took on the trial lawyers and reformed workers' comp!!! Or to sum up, the injured worker got the shaft again.

From WC's perspective as long as you have a good hand, you can find a job that only requires one good hand. There are plently according to any occupational survey. That is the reality of the system.

Tell me your age, whether you finished high school, your occupation, how badly the hand is impaired, and whether it's your dominant hand, and I will tell you whether to call a lawyer.
  • Mon, Jul 17 2006 9:59 PM In reply to

• BOB7
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10

re: Bob-

Thank you agian for your time and info first thing

okay im 42 years old am a high school graduate and my occupation is boilermaker which is if your not fimiliar with trade i build storage tanks consists of alot of climbing, welding, hand grinding,and working with heavy steel with use of cranes and lifts ect. yes its my dominant hand
    Ive lost 2/3rd the use of this hand ! have no strength or gripping ability with it anymore and very hard to climb with it also whole back of hand is dead to feeling such as burns from welding if hand is turned or bumped the wrong way its like an electical shock and hand releases whatever its holding
    thanks agian for your imput on my problem here bob
  • Thu, Jul 27 2006 5:55 AM In reply to

• BOB7
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10

Question [=?] re: Bob-

HI AGIAN
    I was just wondering if you could let me know what i should do i submitted the info you requisted last week

thanks agian
    for your imput
    BOB
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community