Do I have to pay for Braces

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 01-12-2006 3:43 PM by raiderman. 8 replies.
  • 01-09-2006 2:20 PM

Question [=?] Do I have to pay for Braces

My ex wants me to pay half of my daughters braces. The decree states that I must provide Medical/Health insurance and pay half of what insurance does not cover. I dont mind paying and helping when I can but my ex is saying I have to pay $2100.00 at the end of February not much notice
    The decree says nothing about dental insurance or expences although I do have dental insurance that I provide and she uses
  • 01-09-2006 9:35 PM In reply to

re: Do I have to pay for Braces

Some states treat braces as cosmetic and not necessary. A lot may depend on the severity of the need and the incomes of the parents. Usually dental is considered medical.
  • 01-10-2006 5:28 AM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: Do I have to pay for Braces

I've never heard of an orthodontist that doesn't accept payments especially because treatment usually lasts 2-4 years.

If you do want to help provide the braces without it going to court; I would tell your ex to go ahead and pay her half to the orthodontist and that you will contact the office directly to set up a payment plan for your half.
  • 01-10-2006 10:34 AM In reply to

More [=+=] re: Do I have to pay for Braces

I need to tell everyone that the ex had the braces put on my daughter march 2004 and just sent the bill a few days ago i knew about it then but had no imput even though i am suppose to have. She is saying that i must pay my half at the end of Feb. To me that is unresonable. I guess what I am asking is can she do that? I dont know mabe I should just stop crying and pay but I feel she is forcing me to something that I should not have to do Thanks to everyone I really appreciate all the feedback
  • 01-10-2006 11:26 AM In reply to

In my opinion, that is unreasonable. Honestly, the right thing for her to do is to find an orthodontist with a payment plan. That is what my fiancee and his ex did.

I would not fret over this. She gave you no notice. If i were you I would make monthly payments to her or the DR, whoever is owed the $$. You might want to call the Dr to verify the bill and the balance owed. It is not reasonable for her to expect this much money with no notice.

good luck

• 01-11-2006 10:18 AM In reply to

Did you not see the child for 2 years? Did you not see the braces? How could you NOT know that you would have to pay someday?
  • 01-11-2006 10:13 PM In reply to

I guess you missed the part where he said he had no say in the matter. The mother should've at least talked to him about it before she had the braces put on. If it doesn't say anything in the decree specifically about braces, then no, he has no obligation to pay. Should he pay? If I was the NCP and the CP consulted with me FIRST, then IF I could afford them, then yes, but if I wasn't given the chance to give my input and am not financially able to pay half, then no, you shouldn't have to pay. If she has already paid for them, then let her take you to court, it will cost her more in court fees and attorney fees alone just to get you to court, and even then she may still lose if it isn't your custody papers.
  • 01-12-2006 11:52 AM In reply to

The OP did not indicate there was a court order granting him the right not to pay if he didn't agree with the treatment. Further, if he didn't agree with the treatment, why wait 2 yrs before protesting? It sounds to me that the OP is more concerned about how long he has to pay the bill (2 months), rather than the bill itself. This would be dictacted by the decree, or what their local courts would consider reasonable. When I had to fight for med/dental reimbursement, my attorney said 30-60 days was considered reasonable in our courts.

The child had the braces put on in early 2004, so if dad had seen the child, he could have certainly inquired about what his half of the orthodontia would be, and start setting aside money or working with the orthodontist directly to pay his half.

"If she has already paid for them, then let her take you to court, it will cost her more in court fees and attorney fees alone just to get you to court, and even then she may still lose if it isn't your custody papers"

However, if the OP loses, he may have to reimburse mom for the dentist AND her attorney fees to collect them!
  • 01-12-2006 3:43 PM In reply to

Like I said, if it doesn't SPECIFICALLY state he has to pay for half of any orthodontic work, then he isn't legally liable. In my papers, it clearly states Dental and Orthodontic seperately. Braces are merely cosmetic, so go by whatever the custody papers state.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community