Can someone explains punishment for mentally ill person

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 06-05-2008 2:34 PM by JamyeP. 3 replies.
  • 06-05-2008 1:11 PM

• neonpigs
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-02-2002
    • PA
    • Posts 85

Question [=?] Can someone explains punishment for mentally ill person

My son has proven on recorded mental illness of Schizo affective bipolar that GA police knows. He was arrested 3 times in 3 weeks for criminal trespassing in college campus and jailed this time he has had more charges. What is the punishment according to Dekalb county GA law for following offenses:

M 16-10-24(A)-OBSTRUCTION OF OFFICERS MISD

M 16-5-23.1-BATTERY-MISD

M 16-7-21-CRIMINAL TRESPASS -/MISD/-

What can I do to convince the judge that they give him court mandated treatment instead of jail terms?

• 06-05-2008 1:43 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,373

Feedback [*=*] re: Can someone explains punishment for mentally ill person

"What can I do to convince the judge that they give him court mandated treatment instead of jail terms?"

I doubt that there is very little that you personally can do in this situation.

How old id your son? If he is a minor, you should probably obtain an attorney for assistance. If he is an adult, you could hire an attorney for him if you wanted. He might be able to qualify for a PD if he cannot afford a private attorney. In either case, he should consult with an attorney.

Criminal trespass could land him in jail for up to year and possibly a fine of up to $1,000. I suspect that the Obstruction and Battery charges carry similiar penalties.

Consult a local attorney.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• 06-05-2008 2:21 PM In reply to

• neonpigs
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-02-2002
    • PA
    • Posts 85

re: Can someone explains punishment for mentally ill person

Thanks for your quick response he is an adult. He has been through this revolving doors of jail and mental institute without any law enforcement helping him with the root cause of the problem why he acts up and ends up in jail...If the mental health system and law enforcement can work to gether many youth can be helped in a better way than shuffling them between mental institutes and jail
  • 06-05-2008 2:34 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: Can someone explains punishment for mentally ill person

Cops aren't social workers and their job is basically to investigate crimes and arrest the offenders. It's not their job to help the mentally ill. The first people who are responsible to help someone who is mentally ill is their family. If they're looking for someone else to do the job, especially the cops, they're going to be disappointed.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community