How do I get my stepson out of the house permanently?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 05-03-2006 1:03 PM by OliviasMom. 5 replies.
  • 04-29-2006 9:19 PM

Question [=?] How do I get my stepson out of the house permanently?

I'm a 56 year old male, semi retired. I came home one afternoon from work and found my 27 year-old stepson starting a small fire to burn some dead vegetation in front of our house. It was next to the wood siding on our house. I took a garden hose to put out the fire. He grabbed the hose out of my hand and drenched me completely. Then, after I turned off he water, he grabbed one of my legs from behind and flipped me to the ground. I landed on a shoulder which had sustained a torn rotator cuff 2 years prior during a baseball game. All during this time, he was screaming his head off at me so that he entire neighborhood could hear it. I called the police and hoped to get him out of the house permanently. The police told me that I would have to press battery charges, they would arrest him and then it would end up in court. My wife owns half of this house and apparently sees nothing wrong in any of this, and is very protective of her son. The police told the kid to get out of the house for a few days, wrote a report and left it at that. I want this kid out my house permanently. He works part time, 4 hours a day, contributes nothing to the household, and has a serious chip on his shoulders. How do I get this 27 year old deadbeat out of my house legally and permanently?
  • 04-30-2006 12:36 AM In reply to

re: How do I get my stepson out of the house permanently?

"How do I get this 27 year old deadbeat out of my house legally and permanently?"

Divorce his mother.
  • 04-30-2006 10:51 AM In reply to

• CdwJava
      Consumer
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-20-2003
    • CA
    • Posts 910

Feedback [*=*] re: How do I get my stepson out of the house permanently?

The two choices solely within your discretion are (1) pursuing charges for the battery and hoping he goes to jail or is subject to a protective order that prevents him from assaulting you, or, (2) you can seek a protective order on your own.

Anything else will likely require his mother's agreement. You cannot kick him out of the house if mom allows him to remain. So, you and your wife need to get on the same sheet of music here, or you have some serious decisions to make.

- Carl
  • 04-30-2006 4:25 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: How do I get my stepson out of the house By: carol3

[Kodiak5029, when you registered on this site, you said you had read the Rules and would abide by them. The Rules state that messages are to be posted only to one message board. I've deleted your duplicate from the Elder Law board in order to contain the discussion in one location--here.

The one response you received on the Elder Law message board, from carol3, is below.]

Date: 4/30/2006 1:54:04 PM

"How do I get this 27 year old deadbeat out of my house legally and permanently? "

He is an adult. You have no legal obligation to provide him with shelter.

He has no legal right to be in your home. You have every legal right to remove him.

This is a matter which you and your wife are going to have to come to agreement on since she also owns the home. Give him 2 weeks notice to get packing or change the locks on the doors.

Since the police suggested you file battery charges, you will have to decide if that is the course of action you want to pursue.
  • 05-01-2006 9:11 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: How do I get my stepson out of the house permanently?

AMEN!!
  • 05-03-2006 1:03 PM In reply to

Angry [:@] re: How do I get my stepson out of the house By: carol3

For now, I would seek a protective order. When granted he will have to find another place to live temporarily. Hopefully you filed charges.

This guy sounds like a huge bum, and if your wife is going tolerate this nonsense and not support you, you have a big problem.

A 27 year old should not be living with his mother, working part time. Mom obviously fails to see this is unacceptable.

Tell her, he needs to move out and get a place of his own or you are filing for divorce.

Good luck
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community