Required to pay deceased mothers nursing home bill?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 03-02-2006 2:31 PM by Fxston. 6 replies.
  • 02-22-2006 8:28 AM

Required to pay deceased mothers nursing home bill?

My mother just passed away this month and she has a blance of about $5000.00 in which Medicade initally refused to pay. I was the person who was writing her checks for her nursing home bills all along. At the time my mother went into the nursing home my brother and I were in the process of selling her assets. The process was to sell her assets and place the money from her assets into her checking account and then pay off her exhisting bills with the same checking account. Our reasoning was to show Medicade that we were crediting her account with her sold assets and then debiting her account with her bills being paid. We wanted to show good faith in the selling of her assets so we could obtain Medicade. Anyways, when it came time for Medicade to start paying for her nursing home bills they refused to pay the first two months because her checking account balance was over the $2000.00 limit but I argued that the $2000.00 limit should've been figured on her checking account low balance and not her high balance because certain checks had'nt been cashed by my mothers creditors at the time of the bank statements were given to Medicade. Also, it was assured to me verbably by the nursing home that I would'nt be liable for my mothers nursing home bills. So, am I liable to pay her nursing home balance because initally Medicade refused to pay the first two months?
  • 02-22-2006 6:50 PM In reply to

re: Required to pay deceased mothers nursing home bill?

I'm pretty sure you are not personally liable for your mother's debts. If you are an executor of her estate, you have a fiduciary responsibly to pay the debts of her estate with whatever assets she had. There also is probably a period of time where you can apply for retroactive aide which could cover the nursing home.
  • 02-22-2006 8:40 PM In reply to

She was in the nursing for more than three years so I believe that re-applying for medicaid would be useless. I did some research on the subject and I found out that in 1987 the Federal Nursing Home Reform Act was passed which stated that family members are not responsible for Medicare or Medicaid services. So it appears that you're right as far as having to pay my moms balance. Also, all she had was a small life insurance policy that was applied to her funeral expenses. After I pay the remaining monies in her checking account to the nursing home she is pennyless.
  • 02-22-2006 9:41 PM In reply to

How would her creditors find you? If you aren't on her accounts with her, then you have no obligation to pay anything. When my mother died and bills were sent to her address (then forwarded to me through the post office) I just wrote "Return to sender, addressee deceased" on the envelope and dropped it back in the mail box. That was the end of it.
  • 02-23-2006 6:10 AM In reply to

Actually I'm on her checking account so I could sign her checks plus when I signed her into the nursing home I had to sign a form stating that I would be the one paying her bills out of HER assets. At that time it was stated to me that I would'nt be obligated to personally pay her bills but that was just a verbal statement.
  • 02-24-2006 2:25 PM In reply to

Then they were confirming you aren't personally liable for her debts.

I don’t' know how you prioritize things, but I would see nursing home bills to be a higher priority than her other outstanding debts.
  • 03-02-2006 2:31 PM In reply to

" ... when I signed her into the nursing home I had to sign a form stating that I would be the one paying her bills out of HER assets."

We can't know the exact language from here, but I hope this is true, emphasis on *her* assets vs. taking responsibility for her debt. Whatever they *said* to you is meaningless in the face of whatever it is you signed.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community