statute of limitations on filing drug charges

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 02-12-2009 10:12 AM by ewingl. 4 replies.
  • 02-12-2009 9:50 AM

• ewingl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Posts 2

statute of limitations on filing drug charges

I called in a prescription in my husbands name over 5 years ago and picked it up. Charges were never filed. He now wants a divorce and sole custody of the children and just informed me there is no statute of limitations on this and he is filing charges. Is this true? Somebody please help me!
  • 02-12-2009 10:02 AM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: statute of limitations on filing drug charges

First, the statute of limitations is state specific and you did not provide that information. Second, if you are going to be divorcing, the first rule is don't take legal advice from the person you are divorcing. Consult local counsel.
  • 02-12-2009 10:10 AM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,441

Feedback [*=*] re: statute of limitations on filing drug charges

"...he is filing charges."

He cannot file charges against you. He might be able to make a report, but I doubt that anybody would take it seriuosly.

Take his threats with a "grain of salt" and don't discuss anything with him unless your attorney advises otherwise.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• 02-12-2009 10:12 AM In reply to

• ewingl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • Posts 2

re: statute of limitations on filing drug charges

The state is South Carolina
  • 02-12-2009 3:15 PM In reply to

re: statute of limitations on filing drug charges

Yes, there is a statute of limitations.

No, your husband cannot file charges. All he can do is report the matter to the cops or the local prosecuting attorney. It will be up to the cops whether it's worth investigating, and it will be up to the prosecutor to file charges or not.

I don't know what the SOL is in SC, but, after 5 years, and given the divorce context, I seriously doubt anyone will put much stock in your husband telling tales.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community