2 Misdemeanors for hitting a mailbox - HELP!!

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 12-08-2008 6:56 PM by DPH. 2 replies.
  • 12-08-2008 3:02 PM

• LenKug
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-08-2008
    • Posts 2

Angry [:@] 2 Misdemeanors for hitting a mailbox - HELP!!

I'm 18 years old and have a clean driving record.

Last week, my city got about 6 inches of snow which made for terrible driving conditions.

On my way back home, at 11pm, I lost control of my car and hit a mailbox literally 3 houses away from my house, on the same street. Since it was 11pm I was not going to go ring my neighbors doorbell but instead just call them in the morning and tell them that I did that. Keep in mind that I am friends with the family.

After I went home, within 10 minutes two police man show up at my house and charge me with Reckless Driving and a Hit and Run. They gave me a breathalyzer which I passed.

I also talked with my cousin who is a lawyer in Baltimore, MD (i'm located in Farmington Hills, MI) and she told me that I dont even need a lawyer for this case. She said that if I feel confident enough to explain what happened, I wouldnt need a lawyer.

Opinions please!!
  • 12-08-2008 3:12 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] Ignore cousin's advice...

"Since it was 11pm I was not going to go ring my neighbors doorbell but instead just call them in the morning and tell them that I did that."

State law likely MANDATES that you make an attempt to contact the property owner, or leave your information there.

"Keep in mind that I am friends with the family."

Doesn't matter. State law is state law.

"I also talked with my cousin who is a lawyer in Baltimore, MD (i'm located in Farmington Hills, MI) and she told me that I dont even need a lawyer for this case."

Your cousin is either a horrible attorney or doesn't practice criminal law.

"She said that if I feel confident enough to explain what happened, I wouldnt need a lawyer."

I would NEVER hire her to represent me in criminal court.

Your explanation will convict you of the crime.

The reckless is for losing control of the vehicle. I suspect they'll be willing to dump this or reduce it unless you made some admissions about intentionall speeding or sliding or something.

The hit and run is about leaving the scene without leaving information. That sounds like a valid charge.

Yes, you can say you were going to go back tomorrow, but there is absolutely no guarantee whatsoever that that claim is true. That is also what someone would say if they were trying to get away with damaging someone's property.

Apply for a public defender. You're 18 and almost certainly qualify.
  • 12-08-2008 6:56 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,541

Feedback [*=*] re: get your own attorney

"Opinions please!!"

Get your own attorney and listen to THAT advice.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community