PA law for forgery and theft

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Sat, Dec 20 2008 2:48 PM by neonpigs. 7 replies.
  • Thu, Dec 18 2008 11:04 PM

• neonpigs
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 2 2002
    • PA
    • Posts 85

Question [=?] PA law for forgery and theft

What is Pennsylvania law punishment for forgery and theft? My son 28 (mentally ill and on SSDI) stole my wife's credit card and used it to withdraw cash $300 from bank and used it to charge for other expenses $210. He has prior record of theft. My wife is insisting on pressing charges where as I don't want to deal with the legal system and don't have heart to see my son end up in Jail at the same time would like to teach him a lesson to stop him doing such illegal things in future again. Is there any other way than putting him in jail he can be punished through court system? Thanks
  • Fri, Dec 19 2008 2:28 AM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: PA law for forgery and theft

Once a police report is filed, it's up to the county prosecutor whether or not criminal charges are pursued and what those charges are. If charges are filed, it's up to the defendant whether he pleads or goes to trial. Either way, what he is sentenced to depends upon what the prosecutor decides to charge and, assuming he admits or is found guilty, how the court decides to sentence him. There's no way to predict. Unless your son is legally insane, which is unlikely, he knows the difference between right and wrong and eventually he's going to try to steal from someone he doesn't know...I've seen it enough times to know it happens and when it does, it rarely turns out well.
  • Fri, Dec 19 2008 12:59 PM In reply to

• neonpigs
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 85

I understand what you are saying that it is upto Prosecutor to decide the sentence but let us say he pleads guilty because evidences are all starring at him and considering his mental illness "Schizo-affective bipolar" where people do loose sense of right from wrong during their psychotic state of mind accodring to medical professionals treating him. Does he have any grounds for defence based on insanity? Can he get out of Jail sentence based on his mental illness?
  • Fri, Dec 19 2008 1:13 PM In reply to

• LynnM
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 3 2000
    • CA
    • Posts 28,248

re: PA law for forgery and theft

No one can tell you what will happen. OTOH, it seems pretty silly to report a crime and then turn around and fund the defense of the criminal.
  • Fri, Dec 19 2008 2:43 PM In reply to

• neonpigs
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 85

re: PA law for forgery and theft

It may sound silly because of disagreement between me and my wife who wants to report it and I am trying help my son to defend. I am just trying to find out what is the punishment in worst case according to PA laws.
  • Fri, Dec 19 2008 3:27 PM In reply to

Contact a local attorney. No PA attorneys are currently on these boards and the only way to get specific information is to talk with one face to face.
  • Fri, Dec 19 2008 9:42 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 8 2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,635

If you report it and the DA decides to prosecute, there are no "take backs". At that point your son will HAVE to deal with the legal system.

Your call at this point.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• Sat, Dec 20 2008 2:48 PM In reply to

• neonpigs
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 85

Thanks
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community