Grandparent Child Custody vs. Parent.

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 03-23-2006 8:59 PM by Grandmon. 6 replies.
  • 03-08-2006 12:07 AM

Question [=?] Grandparent Child Custody vs. Parent.

I am looking for a grandparent vs. parent custody case to use as reference. My family is currently trying to obtain custody of a child whose father has not been involved in his life 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for the past 7 years. The child's mother past away 8 months ago, and the child has continue to live with his grandparents. The child’s mother never filed for divorce and now we have this set back (father) in raising this child under the care of our family. The Granparents have been the primary parents for the past 7 years. I am also looking for a good lawyer
  • 03-08-2006 2:49 PM In reply to

re: Grandparent Child Custody vs. Parent.

The father's rights are MUCH greater than yours. The only thing going for you is that you have helped raise the child. Get a lawyer NOW - but don;t be surprised if the court requires extended visitation with Dad at the very least.
  • 03-08-2006 2:54 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: Grandparent Child Custody vs. Parent.

For leads on attorneys, use the Find a Lawyer feature on your right.

There is a certain presumption within the legal system that parents have better rights to their children than anyone else, including grandparents. You may be able to rebut that presumption if the NCP for the previous seven years has had very minimal contact with his child. However, your post suggests that Mom and Dad never officially divorced and that there were no custody or support orders in place before Mom died. Therefore, proving all of this is going to be somewhat hard.

Consult local counsel.
  • 03-23-2006 8:35 PM In reply to

I am an Alabama grandparent whom my three grandchildren were brought to me from Ft.Worth/Dallas Texas meto by the mother for the second time (once in 2002 and then two years ago 2004. I have joint custody with my son in Alabama. I have filed in Jan. 2005 for childsupport thru Alabama and counldn't get mother served because she worked in the dental area of Dallas moving jobs and the dentist covering up saying the let her go or that she no longer worked there until a SupportKids from Austin, Texas organization told me about the free federal parent locator program done by the federal government. Today I called the Dallas child support office and informed them I called my Congressman who is Mr. Aderholt for an inquiry into why they can't serve my daughterinlaw at her job. My Alabama childsupport state worked had to use all the phone numbers to track (used by the federal locators) that she had called to my home from her job. She uses a cell phone number to keep her location safe. She is a cyrstalmeth and estacy user and tested by the Alabama local city police department and failed twice.

Here are some things you might try:

1. Get a federal locator or call the Support Kids organization in Austin, Texas (they are a private child support collection agency).

2. File an FBI complaint. The FBI can take your case after two years if the parent has evaded and the state's attempts have failed.

3. File for assistance at the IRS Criminal Investigations unit for help and they can assist with
    some cases.

4. Call your local state representaive and Congressman for inquiry into the local Child Protective Agency and Child Support Unit.

5. Run an ad in the local newspaper with the last known address of the county in which the absent parent has live for one month. By default the parent loses their rights by default for not answering. (This was the last resort and process I was currently taking and my son told his ex-motherlaw and exwife what I had starting doing. She obtained an attorney who has now filed for a hearing in Alabama).

You should get some results from the local newspaper ad after a month and I belive Texas as a 6 month abandment clause in the absence of a parent.

Or move from Texas and file in another state for custody after 30 days residency in another state. Texas is the WORSE state in the US to try for child support.

My exhusband in Texas is in arrears of $90,000 for a URESEA I filed from the State of Maryland in 1992 and still have not collected but have just learned I can now let the FBI handle the case for me.

• 03-23-2006 8:35 PM In reply to

I am an Alabama grandparent whom my three grandchildren were brought to me from Ft.Worth/Dallas Texas meto by the mother for the second time (once in 2002 and then two years ago 2004. I have joint custody with my son in Alabama. I have filed in Jan. 2005 for childsupport thru Alabama and counldn't get mother served because she worked in the dental area of Dallas moving jobs and the dentist covering up saying the let her go or that she no longer worked there until a SupportKids from Austin, Texas organization told me about the free federal parent locator program done by the federal government. Today I called the Dallas child support office and informed them I called my Congressman who is Mr. Aderholt for an inquiry into why they can't serve my daughterinlaw at her job. My Alabama childsupport state worked had to use all the phone numbers to track (used by the federal locators) that she had called to my home from her job. She uses a cell phone number to keep her location safe. She is a cyrstalmeth and estacy user and tested by the Alabama local city police department and failed twice.

Here are some things you might try:

1. Get a federal locator or call the Support Kids organization in Austin, Texas (they are a private child support collection agency).

2. File an FBI complaint. The FBI can take your case after two years if the parent has evaded and the state's attempts have failed.

3. File for assistance at the IRS Criminal Investigations unit for help and they can assist with
    some cases.

4. Call your local state representaive and Congressman for inquiry into the local Child Protective Agency and Child Support Unit.

5. Run an ad in the local newspaper with the last known address of the county in which the absent parent has live for one month. By default the parent loses their rights by default for not answering. (This was the last resort and process I was currently taking and my son told his ex-motherlaw and exwife what I had starting doing. She obtained an attorney who has now filed for a hearing in Alabama).

You should get some results from the local newspaper ad after a month and I belive Texas as a 6 month abandment clause in the absence of a parent.

Or move from Texas and file in another state for custody after 30 days residency in another state. Texas is the WORSE state in the US to try for child support.

My exhusband in Texas is in arrears of $90,000 for a URESEA I filed from the State of Maryland in 1992 and still have not collected but have just learned I can now let the FBI handle the case for me.

• 03-23-2006 8:59 PM In reply to

On the internet type in:

third party visitation rights

Grandparents do have visitation rights in Texas.
  • 03-23-2006 8:59 PM In reply to

On the internet type in:

third party visitation rights

Grandparents do have visitation rights in Texas.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community