Office Temperature

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 12-06-2010 12:32 PM by cbg. 17 replies.
  • 10-21-2008 4:32 PM

Office Temperature

I was wondering if there are any laws regulating the temperature an office should be kept at. Our General Manager doesn't seem to get cold even though the rest of her office staff is freezing. There are days now that we come to work and the office is only 62°. So far this fall she has not turned on the heater. During last winter she set the thermostat at 68°. This is too cold for an administrative office who has workers who spend more time sitting in front of their computers than up walking around. What can we do? Are there any labor laws we can show her to convince her to up the thermostat?
  • 10-21-2008 5:06 PM In reply to

re: Office Temperature

There may be OSHA regulations but I doubt 62 is going to violate them. 68 is perfectly acceptable.
  • 10-21-2008 5:16 PM In reply to

There are no laws mandating such regulations.Have you/the group of workers mentioned your concern to this manager?
  • 10-21-2008 5:33 PM In reply to

Thank you for your response.

We have tried talking to her and she just doesn't listen. In the mean time her staff just gets more frustrated and angry because no one wants to come to work and freeze. We were just hoping there was law or standard we could bring to her attention that may convince her that the heat needs to be turned up.
  • 10-21-2008 7:54 PM In reply to

• Cica
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-23-2003
    • Posts 6,519

This is an OSHA *recommendation* but apparently it is not regulation:

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=24602

At 76 degrees I'd swelter; at 68 degrees I'd freeze. Some of the staff are going through their midlife crises, some of us have been there/done that, our agency is in California, and our boss person is from New England.

We have mini-fans, small floor heaters, sweaters that remain in office or on the backs of our chairs--we keep the thermostat at 70 degrees--and each person is on their own.
  • 10-21-2008 8:20 PM In reply to

• cbg
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-21-2000
    • MA
    • Posts 6,803

At a previous job, the heating/cooling ducts had been set up in a particular, rather odd way for a previous client and were not redone when we moved in.

As a result, in some offices you could hang meat and in others you could grow orchids. Nothing anyone could do would change it. It was what it was and without tearing down the walls to readjust the vents, we were stuck with it.

So we had little fans, space heaters, and people visiting other employees to cool off/warm up. "If you need me, I'll be down in Janice's office - I need to warm up". I was always surprised that there wasn't a little thunderstorm going on outside of Research and Development where the two fronts met.

No laws, no legal requirements, nothing but an OSHA recommendation that holds no teeth and employers cannot be required to adhere to.

Be glad you don't work in a foundry or need to spend your time in and out of a walk-in freezer.
  • 10-21-2008 9:20 PM In reply to

You don't say how many are in your office. But if you can get everybody to express discomfort to your General Manager's boss you might get somewhere.

Otherwise, the usual remedy for discontent is seek employment elsewhere or accept the discomfort.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 10-24-2008 5:10 PM In reply to

Thanks for the OSHA excerpt. We used to have small heaters we used in our offices and that worked well for us but we are no longer allowed to use them, don't ask me why. I think it was some sort of weird manager power trip. Thanks anyway for the help!
  • 12-07-2009 12:05 PM In reply to

Re: Office Temperature

My office is currently 44 degrees where I am expected to sit in a cube and type.  I cannot type with gloves on and my hands hurt from the extreme cold.  I work for the State of California in a large office building with one thousand employees.  Is there really no limit to how cold they can allow an office to get and still expect to work in this environment?

I did work once for a company in a deep freezer.  There I wore heavy jackets, long underwear, thick gloves, and only lifted boxes on pallets.

• 12-07-2009 12:28 PM In reply to

petersonoma:
    Is there really no limit to how cold they can allow an office to get and still expect to work in this environment?

No.

Bring in a space heater.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 12-07-2009 2:06 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,441

petersonoma:
    My office is currently 44 degrees where I am expected to sit in a cube and type.

I have just got to ask...how in the world does an office temp get down to 44 degrees.  Unless the outside temp is about 40 degrees and all of the doors and windows are open, it just won't happen.  I could see 44 degrees C, maybe, in the middle of summer. 

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• 12-07-2009 3:33 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,165

Laws aside---I pay for heat in my office and I do NOT set it above 60 --if folks don't like it they can put on another sweater and I'll wink at small space heaters--but I once worked at a place which patrolled for same.....----

OK so there are laws on point and  60 is on low side---but it should be very Democratic to set ones thermostat much lower in winter?  ----But pretty soon the only folks in hot buildings in winter are going to be welfare tenants and government sector employees--and I'm getting less inclined to pay for such stuff daily--if I get a choice that is. 

I'm told brains work better if slightly on cool side?

• 12-08-2009 12:01 PM In reply to

• Cica
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-23-2003
    • Posts 6,519

petersonoma:
    I work for the State of California

in 44 degrees ... ?  Typing?  Abs... Anyway, nothing in Title 8 is there to fix it.

• 12-08-2009 1:04 PM In reply to

Unless it violates OSHA or CALOSHA regs there's nothing to do but wear a sweater.

• 12-06-2010 11:06 AM In reply to

• Lyndey
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-06-2010
    • WI
    • Posts 1

"pretty soon the only folks in hot buildings in winter are going to be welfare tenants and government sector employees"

REALLY!?!?!?! I'm a state employee adn I'm freezing [swearing] because they refuse to fix the heating system or turn up the heat. We ARE NOT ALLOWED to have small heaters or fans in our office cubicles. I actualyl found out that they REMOVED the heating system 9 years ago adn although we've complained about the cold for YEARS, they WON'T do anything about it because it would COST THE TAXPAYERS TOO MUCH!

In addition, my wife also works for the state. After years of complaints, they FINALLY fixed the gaping hole in the wall of the building she worked in. The hole let in rain, now, cold, and bugs and was located in a corner office cublice.

Soooo.... before you go getting all mad at "government sector employees" about how your hard earned money is going for their so-called benefits and perks... why don't you ask them what kinds of working conditions they put up with first!?

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community