Lawyer is not responding

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 08-07-2006 5:11 PM by LI810. 4 replies.
  • 08-07-2006 7:28 AM

• LI810
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-19-2004
    • Posts 34

Question [=?] Lawyer is not responding

Hello:

What I can do in the situation, when the lawyer does not respond. I've signed a contigient aggrement that he will represent me in the case. He took the case for evaluation more then 3 months ago. When I asked him at the meeting we had how long could last the evalution, he asnwered , that it takes about a month. I did not hear from him since that time, I called the office 3 times. Every time , the secretary says , that he is not in the office ( diffrent reasons). He did not call back.
    What I can do now ? Time is flying , the stature of limitation is 2 years.
    What is my responsibility now , after I've signed the contigent aggrement ?
    May I go to a different lawyer for evaluation of my case ?
    The case was evaluated previously by a different firm without signing any aggrement. They were dragging evaluation, but after 3 months they sent me an official letter , at least.

Thank you very much.
  • 08-07-2006 12:08 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: Lawyer is not responding

Call and request an immediate appointment.

Remind them you have a contingency agreement and want to know immediately of results of the medical evaluation and what the next step is.

Since you have signed the agreement with this lawyer and your records are in the process of being reviewed by an expert, you are currently committed to this lawyer.

You need to press for a meeting and results of the evaluation.

"The case was evaluated previously by a different firm without signing any aggrement."

Every law firm works differently.
  • 08-07-2006 3:15 PM In reply to

• LI810
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-19-2004
    • Posts 34

Angry [:@] re: Lawyer is not responding

Thank you , Carol

"You need to press for a meeting and results of the evaluation."

How I can press them ? is there any legal matter that required that the lawyer is responsible to repspond ?

Every time I call I am talking to the secretary and her only suggestion is to leave a voice mail. And explanation that he is not in the office for one or anotehr reason. The firm is very prominent in the malparctice field. I do not know now if it is important. Looks like real jerks.

• 08-07-2006 4:24 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: Lawyer is not responding

Perhaps he hasn't gotten the medical evaluation back. Or, he has and it's sitting under a pile of papers...

Can you present yourself in his office and since it is a prominent firm, demand that someone provide you with the status of their medical evaluation? Surely there are paralegals there who might be able to find out the status if the attorney(s) are too busy to see you. Or, follow up with the medical expert to see if he has completed his evaluation.

I would firmly inform them unless they give you some kind of response, are going to report them to the local bar.

Outside of that, you are committed to them since you signed a retainer.

• 08-07-2006 5:11 PM In reply to

• LI810
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-19-2004
    • Posts 34

re: Lawyer is not responding

Thank you, Carol.

Probably I would call one more time and tell them about possible report to the local bar.
    The attorney is a partner of the firm. The medical examiner is working in the same firm.
    It is quite problematic to go to the office just to request a formal simple response, since it is more than 2 hours drive .
    Besides it , I do not know if it is a common practice to treat a potential client like that ?
    With such attitude , I can imagine what it could be to deal with such lawyer in case he decide to go forward with the case.
    My understanding, that if the evaluation does not give him a reason to file the case , so the letter from a parallegal would be sufficient .
    I do not see other reasons why not to give some response . Until I am missing something .
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community