I am married, W2 says single

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Wed, Jan 11 2006 8:06 PM by DJ2. 3 replies.
  • Tue, Jan 10 2006 1:09 PM

• leo74
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 10 2006
    • Posts 1

I am married, W2 says single

I am so confused. I failed to change my status from single to married in 2005, I was married on April 1, 2005. I assumed that since my employer knew I was married that it was taken care of, I didn't realize I had to obtain a form from them. I notified my employer today and was given a 2006 W4, which I filled out. The problem is my 2005 paystubs say my Status (Fed/State) is single. I was planning on filing as married filing jointly.
    Am I unable to do this because now my status shows up as "single"?
    Also, I was told that less tax would be taken out of my pay now because my status is changed. Is there any way I can go about getting back what I overpaid from the date of my marriage to the end of the year? (since my status was incorrect)
    Any help will be much appreciated!
  • Tue, Jan 10 2006 1:53 PM In reply to

• DJ2
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 8 2005
    • Posts 43

Feedback [*=*] re: I am married, W2 says single

You WILL get back what you paid in if there was enough deducted, and also, you CAN file jointly, does NOT matter what W-2 says...You ahve now changed a new W-4 to Married, its actually the exemptions you put down on the W-4 that are going to determine your amount that will be withheld from you pay.

Go ahead and file married, and still send in the w-2 as is.. If you have changed the name on your SS card, and your W-2 is diff, then check that box so you wont have a delay in your refund..
    :)
  • Tue, Jan 10 2006 8:35 PM In reply to

“The problem is my 2005 paystubs say my Status (Fed/State) is single. ”

Your company is putting that on your pay stub to tell you on what basis the withholding computed. That comes from the W-4 that you filled out. It is not reflected on the W-2 form that you will get from the employer.

“I was planning on filing as married filing jointly.
    Am I unable to do this because now my status shows up as ‘single’?”

The marriage status on your paystub or on your W-4 does not affect how you file your return. Since you are married, you either file as married filing jointly or married filing separately. You cannot file as single.

“ Is there any way I can go about getting back what I overpaid from the date of my marriage to the end of the year? (since my status was incorrect)”

Sure. When you file your return, if the tax is overpaid the IRS will send you a refund of the overpayment.
  • Wed, Jan 11 2006 8:06 PM In reply to

• DJ2
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 8 2005
    • Posts 43

If you had thought about it at the time, you shoulod have changed your W4 after you got married......But once you file jointly, IRS will catch everything thru your SS#
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community