Car interlock and renting a car

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 03-11-2009 5:51 PM by ClydesMom. 7 replies.
  • 03-10-2009 4:13 PM

• jeesin
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-10-2009
    • Posts 3

Car interlock and renting a car

I recently got a DUI and was ordered to get car interlock installed in my car. Now problem is for my work, I often have to rent car since I travel. What can I do about it, I live in Michigan.

Also, if I need to reduce my probation terms, will a probabtion officer help me or do I need to file a motion. And can a file a motion myself, instead of getting a lawyer?

• 03-10-2009 4:18 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,609

Question [=?] Re: Car interlock and renting a car

"...ordered to get car interlock installed in my car."

What does the order say about operating another vehicle, not one actually owned by you?  I suspect that there is something on that subject.  If not, consult with your attorney about consequences of operating a vehicle with the interlock equipment.  Ask him/her about possible modification of your terms of probation while you're at it. 

By the way, does your employer know about your DUI and what is there take on the issue?  I'm curious because at my company you would probably not be driving a rent car for business purposes, anywhere.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• 03-10-2009 4:34 PM In reply to

• jeesin
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-10-2009
    • Posts 3

Re: Car interlock and renting a car

well it says any car I operate and no I havent told my employer about it. I am loosing my sleep over this.

Also, if I move my state of residency (lets say from Detroit to Chicago), will my probabtion get carried over?

• 03-10-2009 10:08 PM In reply to

• Kivi
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-01-2005
    • CA
    • Posts 6,170

You need to discuss that one with your attorney as well.

I think the answer is that the new state must agree to take over.

Most states believe they have enough of theiw own "problem children" to supervise.  It is by no means a given that you will be able to transfer it.  If you can't, then you may not be able to legally move to another state.  Sad

• 03-11-2009 9:26 AM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,609

"...any car I operate and no I havent told my employer about it. I am loosing my sleep over this."

Any car, to me, would seem to cover a rental vehicle.  You might consider having your attorney review this to make sure.  As far as your employer, you might make some discreet inquiries about the company's policy or attitude regarding DUI activity.  They may have a policy that restricts or forbids your operating a vehicle while on company time for company business.

A taxi is always an option if you don't rent a vehicle.

If you move, you're probaly going to have to abide by the order in your new location.  I would check it out with an attorney to be sure.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• 03-11-2009 11:36 AM In reply to

Your probation officer only enforces the terms of your probation.

You'll have to go back to court to ask for a change.

You can certainly do that without an attorney, if you know how?

Do you?

If you don't know how, get the attorney to do it.

The attorney would probably get better results anyway.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 03-11-2009 11:48 AM In reply to

• jeesin
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-10-2009
    • Posts 3

Thanks a lot guys for your comments, it really helped to calm things down for me.

One more questions, if you do really well in your probation for a month or two, does it really help. I knw it depends on the judge and county, but in general does it makes my case stronger.

I have been asked to do 35 hours of AA meetings, I am planning to do atleast 40-50 hours by end of April, have already done 8 hours in past 5 days.

• 03-11-2009 5:51 PM In reply to

How long is your probation?  Generally the courts don't modify probation (other than changing it to another state if you move and the other state agrees) after a couple of months good behavior.  Most people on probation behave for the first couple of months it's maintaining it that is the problem.

If you want this modified you need an attorney to help you and there better be a REALLY compelling reason and you have a spotless record since.  The courts are coming down hard on DUI these days and the courts are reluctant to back off on sentencing once handed down.  If they do that and you rack up another DUI and this time hurt/kill someone they will take a huge hit for it.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community