Divorce Blackmail & Extortion?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 03-20-2009 8:19 AM by John Hall. 9 replies.
  • 03-12-2009 7:06 PM

• John Hall
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-12-2009
    • MA
    • Posts 4

Divorce Blackmail & Extortion?

I am in the process of obtaining a divorce, duribng the marriage on 2 occasions I used friends of mine to do some work at the house, which both me and my wife would actually be benefiting from. These friends also happen to conduct business at the company i work for. She is now threatening we with my job, and in a letter stated in a round about way " she did not feel comfortable having people from my work at her house".

A few days ago, she or someone acquainted with her dropped of about 15 picture in my mail box of my friends doing the work. She is now pushing this issue.

My attorney claims I have no grounds for blackmail or extortion. I think I do.

• 03-12-2009 7:18 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,269

Re: Divorce Blackmail & Extortion?

I think to to assert blackmail or extortion is playing with fire--stay clear of that unles your attorney needs to go there!

Unless she is leading up to  blackmail you to re using your employees for personal work--gets pretty dirty--so steer clear--I often found my workers over at owners home--and nearby major firm had full staff of grunts to run errands for senior execs---- so becareful about mudfights....

BTW as an aside its probably a federal rap to drop stuff off in a mailbox!

• 03-12-2009 8:06 PM In reply to

Blackmail? How is she blackmiling you? She doesn't want your friends at her house. Where's the blackmail in that?

• 03-13-2009 6:38 PM In reply to

• John Hall
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-12-2009
    • MA
    • Posts 4

Let me clear a couple things up. I have a couple contractor friends that work for the same company I do. First and foremost they are my friends for years. They helped with some work at our marital residence when me and my wife were still together, she agreed to it as we were saving money by my friends helping me do a couple things I could not. Now she has since moved out of the house, and is pushing me for all sorts of money from a 1 year marriage, I've heard all kinds of crazy figures. One night picture were dropped off at the house, of the guys working. She had verbally told me before the pictures were dropped off she would try and hurt me anyway she could to make as much money off me as she could. She said she would use even pictures to force the issue. Pictures that she could potentially go to my company that I work for, and cause all kinds of problems. I might even loose my job. Then the picture showed up. Lynn, a person only does that to show they have something on you, and force there position there way. I don't think that's at all legal.

• 03-13-2009 8:07 PM In reply to

Was the work done on their own time? Did you pay for the supplies? If so, I do not see the issue?

If you and your friends did nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about. If you did do something wrong, this is a consequence of that choice.

• 03-16-2009 11:15 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,269

I sort of see your problem that she is seeking to create problems for your friends who are working for you. And if the prime place of employment has issues with "moonlighting" there could be problems. I agree-- your STBX is shortsighted if you can get work done at convenient prices.

But she is entitled to do stupid and unkind and unwise things--it goes with the turf.

What exact issue is she pushing about friends on the home jobsite?  Throwing mud does not make it illegal.  But I'd be wary of moonlighting issues if I were one of your friends.....

I repeat my suggestion to check out federal postal laws about putting stuff in a postal box--if the person doing so is dumb enouh to admit it!  (But I remind you not to get into mudfight with a pig!)

• 03-16-2009 11:44 AM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,177

Try and clear up a few more things...

How would these random pictures impact you and your friends at work?  Did the work occur at times when you and friends were supposed to be somewhere else on company time?  If so, are the pictures date and time specific?  If not, shouldn't be a big deal?

Were you and friends using company provided equipment without company permission, by chance? 

Explain.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• 03-16-2009 1:21 PM In reply to

• John Hall
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-12-2009
    • MA
    • Posts 4

The company probably would not like it and might think what are my friends which are contractors working for the company getting.

Meaning are they getting perfered treatment for their contractor services. Companies look into the bad side of things many times. All the work occured after hours, no company equipment was used, and like I said they are friends of mine for years. There are pictures with dates on the back which are about 4 months old. They were developed on purpose about a month after I asked her for the divorce, is what it appears. As she had verbally told me a couple times in the past that if I did not pay her what she was asking for she could make my life miserable at work. Knowing that my work would not like this, or possibly fire me, she wanted to make it known that there is tangible evidence she can produce to make me feel my job is at risk, and force the issue of me paying her.

• 03-18-2009 9:04 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,269

BTW, who owns the home?

I can think of some cute dirty moves under some versions of mechanics liens laws.

• 03-20-2009 8:19 AM In reply to

• John Hall
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-12-2009
    • MA
    • Posts 4

We are both on the Deed, and both contributed 50% of the downpayment

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community