FL good cause to quit and still receive unemployment

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 03-16-2009 4:30 PM by cbg. 3 replies.
  • 03-16-2009 2:28 PM

• tonyah
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-15-2009
    • FL
    • Posts 2

FL good cause to quit and still receive unemployment

If my employer offers a reduction in salary (but does not reduce the hours), and I quit because of that, can I still qualify for unemployment compensation?  What does my reduction in pay have to be to be considered "good cause" for me to voluntarily quit?  I am in Florida, and have been with the same employer for five years.  The reduction is not related to performance, but due to the economy and lack of work in the construction industry.

Thank you.

• 03-16-2009 2:42 PM In reply to

Re: FL good cause to quit and still receive unemployment

No it is unlikely you will receive UE. It is legal for companies to do this and many are with the bad economy. Your reduced salary is still probably more than what UE would pay you so you are required to keep your job. If you quit then you will not be offered UE.

• 03-16-2009 2:53 PM In reply to

• tonyah
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-15-2009
    • FL
    • Posts 2

Yes, my salary would still be more than UE, however the reduction in salary would not be enough to pay my bills, including having my child in daycare, which I need to do to be able to work.  So I would still be working full-time, but basically with part-time pay, and I would still have to send my child to daycare full-time.

Does anyone know what is considered "good cause" to voluntarily quit and still qualify for UE?

Thanks.

• 03-16-2009 4:30 PM In reply to

• cbg
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-21-2000
    • MA
    • Posts 6,818

I know of no state where they will pay you to quit so that you have NO income instead of SOME income.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community