How long until you receive 1st interim paycheck from OPM?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Thu, Apr 2 2009 5:10 PM by CW3Jay. 6 replies.
  • Wed, Apr 1 2009 5:27 PM

How long until you receive 1st interim paycheck from OPM?

Just wondering. My last day of employment with Dept. of the Army was January 16th, 2009 and I received my last regular paycheck on January 29th. I have called OPM numerous times in the last few weeks only to receive the answering maching for FERS Disability Branch 3. I have left about 4 messages and no one ever returns my calls. It's going on 3 months and I still haven't received my interim paycheck. Is anyone else going through this with OPM? Also, how many interim paychecks do you receive and how often do you receive them once they start coming? This is starting to make me really nervous about money.

• Wed, Apr 1 2009 6:02 PM In reply to

Re: Reply: How long

You should continue to call every day/every hour.  It should not take this long; however, OPM is backlogged (what else is new?)  Many people get interim pay within a week or two of being approved; interim status can last anywhere from 30 days - 6 months, sometimes longer.  Be courteous but persistent.

Sincerely,

Robert R. McGill, Esquire

• Wed, Apr 1 2009 8:05 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] Re: How long until you receive 1st interim paycheck from OPM...

Check with the person in your (former) agency's HR Office who handles retirements, and make sure that your "Late Date In Pay Status" date has been submitted to OPM. You may also want to check (again) with OPM's Retirement Operations Center in Boyers, PA. The information may have gotten "lost", and may need to be resubmitted.

I remember contacting Boyer's after a few weeks wait, and was told they had not received my "Late Date In Pay Status" date. I contacted my (former) agency's HR Office, and was told they had submitted the information; but, would submit it again. Within TWO or THREE DAYS after that call I received my first Interim Pay Direct Deposit! All of the OTHER payments (Direct Deposits) came on the first of the month (or the last day of the prior month).

I was on LWOP for almost a year so my "Late Date In Pay Status" date was 9/1/2007. My "Retirement Date" was 6/21/2008, and my "Back Pay" and "Regular" Payments started about 10/1/2008 (my benefits/60% of high-3 rate started as of 9/1/2007). So, I was in Interim Pay Status from about early-mid July 2008 until the end of FY 2008 (9/30/2008).

Hope this helps you get some idea on the timing of things!

• Wed, Apr 1 2009 10:10 PM In reply to

Re: How long until you receive 1st interim paycheck from OPM...

Thanks. I think I will do that. I have to find the number for Boyers again, though. Do you have it handy?

Thanks. I sure hope they get this going. I have called various numbers at OPM and left messages, but no one returns my calls. It seems like that was the answer at one point and they said they received the paperwork finally on February 9th, but not sure what they have been doing since then. So frustrating! Thanks for telling me about the timing, too. I have been worried that if I finally get the interim check that will be it for awhile until I get the permanent one.

• Wed, Apr 1 2009 10:12 PM In reply to

Thanks, I think I will try that tomorrow. I guess it helps to leave the messages on the machine, right. Eventually they will get tired of the deluge of messages? Also, wondered if it would be helpful to have a congressional inquiry done to look into this matter for me? What do you think? Will it help or hurt my situation?

Thanks for everything!

• Thu, Apr 2 2009 12:26 AM In reply to

• I M Free
      Consumer
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 13 2007
    • Posts 814

How are you finding numbers of people to call over at OPM?

Ad far as I know they don't have an answering machine, although

individual workers have their own voicemail.

The Customer Service Call Center # is 1-888-767-6738

• Thu, Apr 2 2009 5:10 PM In reply to

• CW3Jay
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 5 2008
    • Posts 7

Re: How long until you receive 1st interim paycheck from OPM...

I can't tell from your post what type of Federal employee that you are.  I'm a recent Military Technician FERS disability retiree and can tell you how long it took for me.  I retired on December 20th and received my first interm paycheck on February 1st.  My first 'final pay' paycheck was April 1st.  In March I received two paychecks, an interm paycheck and one for the difference between the interm and final payments.  It took almost two weeks to have a call returned.  Surprisingly, I was connected to the person assigned my case.  It was only about a month later that my pay was finalized.  Hope this helps.

Jay

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community