camreas in the work place Illinois

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 04-06-2009 5:14 PM by Beth3. 5 replies.
  • 04-03-2009 1:50 AM

• billkater
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-03-2009
    • IL
    • Posts 2

camreas in the work place Illinois

Are ther any rules governing security cameras in the work place in the state of Illinois?

Where they can be?

what they can record?

hoe th recordeings may be used?

Thanks for any help

Bill

• 04-03-2009 2:47 AM In reply to

Re: camreas in the work place Illinois

The employer can use video surveillance anywhere but restrooms and locker rooms.  What else would you think he'd want to use if for other than to make sure the employees are doing their jobs and not ripping him off?

• 04-03-2009 3:32 AM In reply to

• billkater
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-03-2009
    • IL
    • Posts 2

What about break rooms and outside lunch areas provided for the employees? These are off clock areas.

Also, should employees be notified as to where cameras are placed or are hidden cameras allowed?

• 04-03-2009 7:46 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,591

Laymans take:

Unless there is a law against it, the employer can put cameras anyplace he wants.  Bathrooms and locker rooms are probably off limits but I've not checked.

Likewise unless there is a law that says the issue must be posted, he need not post--but I suspect the employer is better off to place modest signs at each entryway that says in effect these premises are under survailance (sp). I suspect there a defensive need for such signage--note you'll see it in many stores as well.

Unless there is an expeactancy of privacy as in a bathroom I fail to se any limits on the use of the recordings.

If you are on camera making it with your friend on the picnic bench on my premises I suspect there are a lot of things I can do with that, provided I stay clear of extortion !  And if you appear to be engaged in a swap of money for a small packet I may be able to invite police to come help me watch the replay.

• 04-03-2009 9:56 AM In reply to

• Cica
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-23-2003
    • Posts 6,520

Employers cannot have them in restrooms or locker rooms as Gemini indicated. Break rooms are legal to the best of my knowledge. They can't discriminately "tag" employees involved in things such as union solicitation. But they could probably go after any involved in suspected illegal activities.

• 04-06-2009 5:14 PM In reply to

What about break rooms and outside lunch areas provided for the employees? These are off clock areas.   Courts have ruled that employers may not install cameras in areas where an employee has a reasonable expectation of privacy - hence the restroom and locker room.   Break rooms and lunch areas are not places people have an expectation of privacy. 

Also, should employees be notified as to where cameras are placed  There is no legal requirement that anyone be notified.  (Every time you go to a shopping mall, you likely are being surveilled by a considerable number of cameras.  The mall isn't posting notices about that, right?)

or are hidden cameras allowed?  Yes.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community