Can i sue my college?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 04-06-2009 2:32 PM by Paddywakk. 5 replies.
  • 04-03-2009 10:01 PM

• Maskara
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-30-2009
    • CA
    • Posts 2

Angry [:@] Can i sue my college?

Evere since i started going to this school absolutely nothing has gone the correct way. They said my financial aid was all taken care of and every quarter i have to worry about if im going to have a place to live or not. I live in studen housing and it is absolutely horrible. I pay about 3,000 for 3 months and its horrible. I moved into the nastiest carpet and walls i have ever seen. I have talked to the advisor of the housing many times and he has not done anything to fix it.When moving in i had many concerns about this place but i had no choice but to move here because its where my school moved me to. Before living in this building a friend of mine was jumped outside of the bulding and robbed so this mad eme not want to move here. When i confronted the Dean of housing he told me that he could tell i was unhappy and the best thing for me to do was to leave school. He got up from his chair and went to get the papers to dismiss me from school. Well of course i refused to sign them because i did not want to leave the school. I just wanted to be put in the newer bulding like my other roomate when the school moved us. I did not find it fair. I honestly feel that my school is very very racist also because all of the Caucasian kids are in the brand new nice bulding and all of the other kids are stuck in this bulding that is in a really unsafe area. A bunch of people i know have had the same problems with this school and end up just leaving. I to would leave but my school credits do not transfer to any other schools and i find that a waste of time and of money. I have been so stressed out for the past year it is absolutely ridiculous. I also do not have any family out here because i am from out of state so its hard for me to leave because of that reason also. I honestly just want all of my money back and for them to fix the living situation for other students as well. Can any one help me with this.. im not sure what i can do.

• 04-04-2009 9:04 AM In reply to

Re: Can i sue my college?

I don't know if you have any recourse other than to leave the school.

"They said my financial aid was all taken care of and every quarter i have to worry about if im going to have a place to live or not..."

That's not grounds for anything.  You do get your aid, don't you or else you would not be permitted to remain.

" live in studen housing and it is absolutely horrible. I pay about 3,000 for 3 months and its horrible ... Before living in this building a friend of mine was jumped outside of the bulding and robbed so this mad eme not want to move here. "

You were aware of problems before you enrolled so it was your choice.

Why didn't  you take the opportunity to see the housing before you enrolled?

"I to would leave but my school credits do not transfer to any other schools and i find that a waste of time and of money."

Why would you enroll in courses that are non-transferrable?  It seems like  you should have done more homework on both the school and your courses before you enrolled.

• 04-04-2009 4:06 PM In reply to

• Maskara
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-30-2009
    • CA
    • Posts 2

yes i do recieve my aid but every quarter they tell me i need to apply for different loans because either the company went bankrupt or they dont deal with that company any more.. it has really taken a toll on my credit.

well you see its not that i didnt see the housing... my schools doesnt have specific housing they jus rent out apartments in surrounding apartment buildings.. when i first started i moved into one bulding but then they got rid of their lease there so i had no choice but to move to a different one.. i didnt choose.. i had 3 days notice.. i went from a safe environment to a totally unsafe one overnight basically.. while my roomate was moved to a nice brand new apartment.

As far as me enrolling in courses that are non transferable... i was not aware when i entered the school that NON of them are transferable.

• 04-04-2009 8:22 PM In reply to

You listed yourself as a lawyer - I'm guessing that is not true.

If you believe you are being treated differently because of your race file a claim with the EEOC. But you do not get to tell the school where our acommodations will be. Some rooms are always better tha others.

Absent a racial claim there's no civil rights issue here.

• 04-06-2009 9:58 AM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,555

What kind of school are we talking about here?  Public university or college?  Private?  Trade school?

What kind of aid are you talking about?

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• 04-06-2009 2:32 PM In reply to

Is it a requirement that you live in student housing?

I can tell you that it is absolutely true that many lenders have either stopped making student loans to students at particular schools, or stopped making them altogether. 

It's up to you to investigate the school prior to enrolling to see if your credits are transferrable, and if so, where you can transfer such credits.  There are at least 15 accrediting agencies that I know of, and my school only accepts credits from @ half.

If you're still in your first year or so, it might be easier to start over at another school.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community