Social Security Disability Questions regarding Hearing Aids

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Wed, Apr 15 2009 10:48 AM by SSDI-CIB Expert. 2 replies.
  • Mon, Apr 6 2009 1:48 PM

• riversand
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 4 2007
    • CA
    • Posts 35

Social Security Disability Questions regarding Hearing Aids

Hello,

I am a 58 year old single disabled male from Northern California receiving social security disability benefits.   My questions:   will social security disability cover for my hearing aids?   If Medicare won't, then will my being on social security disability cover for my hearing aids, then?   I heard from a relative, one of her friends got her hearing aids covered.   Please clarify.

thank you, Michael

• Mon, Apr 6 2009 1:55 PM In reply to

• Kivi
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 1 2005
    • CA
    • Posts 6,188

Re: Social Security Disability Questions regarding Hearing A...

Medicare Part B does not cover routine hearing exams or hearing aids.  I got that info from www.medicare.gov

Social Security Disability Income is just that, income because you are disabled.  It is not health insurance.

Medicaid, known as MediCal, in CA, might cover hearing aids, IF you otherwise meet the eligibility criteria for that program.  Generally, you have to pretty low income.

Also, if you are in one of those Medicare HMO's in lieu of traditional Medicare, there might be some limited coverage of hearing aids.  You would have to talk to the Medicare HMO itself to determine coverage.

• Wed, Apr 15 2009 10:48 AM In reply to

Re: Social Security Disability Questions regarding Hearing A...

>>>will social security disability cover for my hearing aids? <<<

No!  Kivi said that SSDI is "income".  You can buy hearing aid out of your SSDI benefit but you need money for your daily needs, such eating, renting, etc.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community