The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

employer policy to keep copy of social security card

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Fri, Jun 16 2017 8:15 AM by ca19lawyer2. 55 replies.
  • Mon, Aug 16 2010 8:05 PM In reply to

• cbg
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 21 2000
    • MA
    • Posts 7,062

Re: employer policy to keep copy of social security card

And it's embarrassing that you didn't notice that this thread is more than two and a half years old, and the situation is sure to have been resolved by this time.

And it's embarrassing that you don't know that the law gives employers the right to retain copies of this information - it is WRONG that only the armed forces are allowed to keep a copy.

• Mon, Aug 16 2010 8:21 PM In reply to

• cbg
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 21 2000
    • MA
    • Posts 7,062

My editing time ran out so here's my proof, right on the form itself:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf

Employers may, but are not required to, photocopy the document(s) presented.

• Mon, Aug 16 2010 9:05 PM In reply to

And here is the IRS publication that says that the employer may photocopy the SS card, even if it is NOT one of the documents presented for the I-9.  Specifically, chapter 4, first paragraph of the publication.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15.pdf

• Mon, Aug 16 2010 11:01 PM In reply to

• Cica
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 23 2003
    • Posts 6,520

caracruz:
    Read what says behind your social security card!! and ID or driver license only arm forces can hold them and give it back to you, every one else just can "only look at"

Who made your Social Security card?  Mine involve the original to name change to name change.  None of them say that anyone aside from Armed Forces may only "look" at them.  The only thing that the back of my license says is "This license is issued as a license to drive a motor vehicle; it does not establish eligibility for employment, voter registration, or public benefits."  Who made your Driver's License?

I'm with a state agency.  Not only can we TAKE the aforementioned to make and retain copy; we do.

caracruz:
    "Some times (always) background criminal record are not up to date. What a surprise right?

Some criminals are hard to keep up with.  Especially ones with bogus SSNs and Driver's Licenses.  But they're tracked down.  They're a dead giveaway when they categorize lawyers as embarrassing, and employers as ignorant.

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 3:13 PM In reply to

• caracruz
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 16 2010
    • WA
    • Posts 11

First of all I own an accounting firm and I know what Im talking about.

Second read before your bark, your interpretation skills need to develop

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 3:28 PM In reply to

"First of all I own an accounting firm "

First: Many crooks own accounting firms.  Does the name Bernie Madoff ring a bell?

"I know what Im talking about."

Second: Apparently not since links are posted that show you are wrong.  If you are convinced you are right post the links to the laws that back you up instead of blustering without facts to back you up.

Third:  drop the holier than thou attitude.  It isn't impressing anyone and makes you look less intelligent not more.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 3:40 PM In reply to

• caracruz
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • WA
    • Posts 11

Read Filing out form I-9 :PROVIDING THE SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER IS VOLUNTARY

SECTION 2 EMPLOYERS MAY, BUT NOT REQUIERED TO PHOTOCOPY DOCUMENTS

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 3:42 PM In reply to

caracruz:
    Read what says behind your social security card!! and ID or driver license only arm forces can hold them and give it back to you, every one else just can "only look at"

Unfortunately, you are misinformed. There is nothing in federal law that makes it illegal for an employer to ask for, or to keep, a copy of an employee's social security card. An employer can refuse to hire an employee who does not comply with such a request. Similarly, I know of no state that has a law making it illegal for an employer to ask for, or to keep, a copy of an employee's driver's license. Nothing printed on the social security card nor any driver's license I've ever seen says anything to the contrary.

Indeed, your own statement that only "armed forces" may actually hold a social security card or driver's license is contradicted by the law. Law enforcement officers, for example, may not only hold your driver's license while checking your identity during an investigation, they may confisicate it in some circumstances (e.g. DUI arrests, etc.)

Finally, the post to which you replied is about 2 years old; the original poster will likely not be back to see it.

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 3:49 PM In reply to

• caracruz
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • WA
    • Posts 11

read the same links, publication15 say in chapter 4 ask employee to SHOW social security card, I don't see that say take it and take a copy of. Unbelievable, may be I don't spell very well because I write in 5 different lenguages every day all the time and I get confused sometimes, but you guys are giving wrong information.

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 3:51 PM In reply to

caracruz:
    First of all I own an accounting firm and I know what Im talking about.

Being an accountant, or the owner of an accounting firm, does not make you a legal expert. This is something that some accountants do not seem to get; I too often encounter problems with accountants giving out legal advice that they should not give. The law does not require employers to keep a copy of the documents, but the law does not prohibit employers from keeping copies of them. If you think the law does prohibit it, why not give us an actual citation to the law you think supports your claim? My search reveals no such law, but I'll be glad to agree with you if you can show me the law that I can't find. If you don't know what law prohibits it, then you ought to consider the possibility that you indeed do not know what you are talking about.

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 3:55 PM In reply to

• caracruz
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • WA
    • Posts 11

don't matter how old the post is, when someone ask the question on the search the wrong answer come up, saying that is ok.

Social security card say on the back

>DO NOT carry with you.

you can show it to some one if is requiered.

you can refuse to let someone to take a copy

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 3:57 PM In reply to

• LynnM
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 3 2000
    • CA
    • Posts 28,248

"you can refuse to let someone to take a copy"

Not if you want a job in this country - unless you have another document acceptable under the law to replace it. It is required to prove your citizenship.

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 3:58 PM In reply to

• LynnM
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 3 2000
    • CA
    • Posts 28,248

"Employers may, but are not required to, photocopy the document(s) presented."

Even if that is accurate, it means the EMPLOYER can decide, not that you have the right to refuse.

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 4:02 PM In reply to

• caracruz
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • WA
    • Posts 11

no necessary, you can show your passaport, or others documents that prove it, but like I said, SHOW IT is not the same that GIVE

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 4:02 PM In reply to

• caracruz
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • WA
    • Posts 11

LOL whatever!

Page 2 of 4 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community