The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

employer policy to keep copy of social security card

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Fri, Jun 16 2017 8:15 AM by ca19lawyer2. 55 replies.
  • Tue, Aug 17 2010 4:12 PM In reply to

• cbg
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 21 2000
    • MA
    • Posts 7,062

Re: employer policy to keep copy of social security card

Employers may, but are not required to, photocopy the document(s) presented.

It doesn't get any clearer than that. You are wrong.

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 4:15 PM In reply to

• LynnM
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 3 2000
    • CA
    • Posts 28,248

Laugh all the way to being unemployed if you insist on your erroneous interpretation of the law.

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 4:22 PM In reply to

• LynnM
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 3 2000
    • CA
    • Posts 28,248

The point you are missing is that no where does the law say an employer MAY NOT keep a copy. Therefore the employer has the abillity to require you to allow a copy be kept or they can refuse to hire you.

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 4:53 PM In reply to

• Cica
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 23 2003
    • Posts 6,520

You own an accounting firm?  I don't believe you.

Anyone who "owns" an accounting firm is familiar with the legal standards involving SS cards, and Driver's Licenses.  They also recognize that Social Security cards and Driver's Licenses state a myriad of different things on the back.  They don't state the same thing from the date of intitial creation. 

You are relaying a bunch of gibberish, which, actually is quite humorous.  caracruz, CPA, you've got some honing in on your supposed specialty to do.

• Tue, Aug 17 2010 4:55 PM In reply to

Owning an accounting firm means nothing.  I have gotten phone calls from hundreds of CPAs in my payroll  management career who asked questions, complained about paychecks and W-2s, etc. who had NO idea what they were talking about.  Payroll and employment law cover about 4 pages in the accounting textbooks.

• Wed, Aug 18 2010 12:21 PM In reply to

• Ford
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 16 2000
    • Posts 12,824

And they can refuse to hire you if you don't let them make a copy.  Just like what happened to the original poster over two years ago...

Making a copy allows the employer to protect itself against claims of hiring undocumented workers.  Stick to adding numbers, chief.

• Wed, Oct 24 2012 1:35 PM In reply to

ClareinDenver - I've been searching for "similar minded" responses to employers requesting a copy of our social security CARD.

I am in TOTAL agreement with you - what is the business need when you provide your social security number on your W4 form and MOST businesses use e-verify to submit your NUMBER. No card is really necessary per the United States Social Security Administration.

I don't understand WHY more people don't question these requests - "why not just provide a copy...why resist...what's the point of arguing..."

My recent situation was the request for TWO forms of ID for the I9 form. I provided a copy of my passport which satisfies the LIST A documentation. The company was insistent which I questioned the purpose and changed their position that the copy was needed for the W4 form, again, I informed them the copy isn't necessary when I provided my SS Nunmber. Now I am the "bad guy" for exercising my rights and resons for being "obstinate".

Just like what's going on in our POLITICS - question AUTHORITY and WAKE UP!

• Wed, Oct 24 2012 1:47 PM In reply to

Er, Authority, you've reopened a very, very old thread.  Chances are slim that OP will respond.  (It's also clear that you posted just to vent, which isn't really the purpose of responding to a thread.  If that's what you want to do, do it in a new thread and, if you want, insert a link to an old thread if you think it's necessary to tie your situation to an old post.)  :)

All that said, an employer may, under the law (and in connection with the I-9) retain a photocopy of the documents presented to complete the form.  That someone said X to rationalize why they needed a copy, whether they were mistaken or not, isn't relevant/material.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf

• Wed, Oct 24 2012 4:16 PM In reply to

It was not my intent to VENT and I realize that my 2012 response to a post from 2008 will not get a direct response, so imagine my surprise of receiving notification that someone did.

In reading through the string of responses to the original thread, both lawyers and consumers opinions varied. Showing your card and providing a copy of the actual CARD are two separate issues for both the I9 and W4 forms we all need to fill in when applying for employment.

Employee's Social Security Number (SSN)

You are required to get each employee's name and Social Security Number (SSN) and to enter them on Form W-2. (This requirement also applies to resident and nonresident alien employees.) You should ask your employee to show you his or her social security card. The employee may show the card if it is available. You may, but are not required to, photocopy the social security card if the employee provides it. Record each new employee's name and social security number from his or her social security card. 

• Wed, Oct 24 2012 4:20 PM In reply to

You may be the bad guy, but you are lucky you aren't the unemployed guy.

A new response brings the old post to the top of the list.

• Wed, Oct 24 2012 5:16 PM In reply to

• caracruz
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 16 2010
    • WA
    • Posts 11

The thread is old the facts are not, this is a everyday new employee matter, if you have nothing to contribute better say nothing.

Is not a law to provide SS for employment dont make things up, you need to proove that you are a citizen only.

• Wed, Oct 24 2012 5:17 PM In reply to

Unemployed since June 2009. I will always exercise my privacy & employee rights despite "the majority" of opinions is to just provide the documents as requested "don't question why"

• Wed, Oct 24 2012 5:19 PM In reply to

• caracruz
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • WA
    • Posts 11

You are right, thats what you do to prevent identity thef just providing a copy of birth certificate or naturalization

• Wed, Oct 24 2012 5:22 PM In reply to

• caracruz
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • WA
    • Posts 11

Sure that shows that you know nothing about accountants.

• Wed, Oct 24 2012 5:25 PM In reply to

• caracruz
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • WA
    • Posts 11

this show me that you know nothing about this matter.

Page 3 of 4 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community