The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

employer policy to keep copy of social security card

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Fri, Jun 16 2017 8:15 AM by ca19lawyer2. 55 replies.
  • Wed, Oct 24 2012 5:31 PM In reply to

Re: employer policy to keep copy of social security card

Question Authority:
    Unemployed since June 2009.

And likely to remain that way given the tone of the postings on here.

Question Authority:
    I will always exercise my privacy & employee rights

Care to point out where in the Bill of Rights or law anywhere you are guaranteed those rights?  You can't because they aren't there.  There is no right to privacy from private employers.  If you don't like the rules employers use in running their business then you will remain unemployed.  Your choice is to follow the rules or support yourself how ever you can.

Question Authority:
    despite "the majority" of opinions is to just provide the documents as requested "don't question why"

There is no reason to question why.  Employers verify SS# so that appropriate taxes, social security, UI, and benefits are reported as required by law.  They also use the number to verify US citizenship.  If they want a copy of the documents to keep on file to support that they complied with federal employment law in establishing an employee's eligibility to work legally in this country they can.  If you don't want to provide them they can decline to hire you.  I would.

Make your political statements on your time not mine.  If you are working for me you follow the rules I establish it is as simple as that.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Wed, Oct 24 2012 5:47 PM In reply to

Yet you choose to take the time to read these posts and respond vehemently. I am in total agreement with you as far as my unemployment status. I've worked at one too many companies with the culture of "do as I say, not as I do", so yes, I'll remain unemployed to stand up for my rights.

• Wed, Oct 24 2012 7:51 PM In reply to

• cbg
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 21 2000
    • MA
    • Posts 7,062

Rights that are not guaranteed by law....

• Wed, Oct 24 2012 8:20 PM In reply to

Question Authority:
    I've worked at one too many companies with the culture of "do as I say, not as I do", so yes, I'll remain unemployed to stand up for my rights.

That's your decision to make, of course. But there is no right to privacy involved here — there is no law that says your Social Security card is private information that no employer may copy. Like most things, there is no law one way or the other: no law that says you must give a copy to the employer, but also none that says the employer cannot have a copy. It is therefore, like much of the emploment relationship, simply a matter of negotiation between employer and employee. So, instead of standing on some right that doesn't exist, it's more properly characterized as a stand on principle. There are indeed times when I think an employee should stand up for their principles. I'm just having a hard time figuring out what the principle is in this situation. The employer will get your name as it is on the SSA records and your SSN anyway — it's required at a minimum on the W-4 for federal (and in many states, state) tax purposes. What does a photocopy of the card give the employer that it does not already have? What is the concern? Sure, I understand the point that the employer probably doesn't really have a need for it, but it's also not something that's a detriment to the employee. It just seems to me to be an odd thing to refuse out of some sense of principle — I just don't get what the big deal is.

• Wed, Oct 24 2012 8:37 PM In reply to

Thank you taxagent for clarification on this entire matter. It's too easy to get off topic and the final answer to my post is this is not a matter of "right" but principle.

• Wed, Oct 24 2012 8:49 PM In reply to

• cbg
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • MA
    • Posts 7,062

And that principle is....?

• Wed, Oct 24 2012 11:28 PM In reply to

• Cica
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 23 2003
    • Posts 6,520

And what showed us that you know anything about anything?  Back into hibernation for you, kid.

• Thu, Oct 25 2012 2:52 AM In reply to

• LG81
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 3 2010
    • Posts 4,338

Question Authority:
    It's too easy to get off topic and the final answer to my post is this is not a matter of "right" but principle.

You have still not indicated what is the principle.  Can you please clarify as it may help you obtain appropriate responses?

It is difficult to understand why you would object to an employer making a photocopy of your Social Security card or driver's license.  In the USA, employer's are required to obtain proof that you have legal status to work in the USA (yes, many employers ignore that, but it is still a legal requirement).  The employer does need to keep a copy of the required combination of documents (E.g., a passport or a driver's license and SS card; other combinations are acceptable, but these are the most common).

The most inconvenient part when an employer wants your social security card is knowing where you kept it. A client of mine uses a certain payroll processing company for its payroll.  Beyond providing the combo for I-9/e-verify purposes, the client demands a copy of the SS card because the client "needs to ensure the name on the pay remittance is what's on file with the IRS."  You cannot get much sillier than that, but the ignorance abounds.  After learning of this when looking into other HR processes, I wondered if I even knew where my ss card was.  (I haven't used it in well over a decade -- my passports (2) and my DL are all I have ever needed.)  I did find it in our strongbox and know it's there if ever needed. Even the SSA itself publishes documents about how an actual card is pretty much irrelevant these days.

However, I do know if I went to work for an employer in the USA, I would need to let the employer copy the required combination.

• Thu, Oct 25 2012 9:30 AM In reply to

• cbg
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • MA
    • Posts 7,062

Well, to be absolutely accurate, employers may keep a copy of the documents after you've proved their status - they're not obligated to. But if the employer has chosen to keep copies, then they are obligated to keep them for everyone, not just some.

But with that one hair-split, I agree with the above.

• Thu, Jun 15 2017 1:29 PM In reply to

re: employer policy to keep copy of social security card

If you think unlocked fililng cabinets are bad, I just had a guy take a picture with his cell phone in the darkened lower level of a hotel that didn't know he was there doing a job fair. Creepy! Sometimes being prudent is better. I got a better job offer higher pay and permanent that starts the same day his job does. I complained to their corporate office. This guy is some kind of contract recruiter. My email title was, are you legit? Let's see how that pans out. 

• Fri, Jun 16 2017 8:15 AM In reply to

re: employer policy to keep copy of social security card

seraphine tempest:
    If you think unlocked fililng cabinets are bad...

Why the *** would you resurrect a nearly 10 year old thread that has been dormant nearly 5 years simply to post some silly personal anecdote?

Page 4 of 4 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community