CalPers Industrial Disability Retirement

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 06-27-2013 4:48 PM by avj81171. 3 replies.
  • 05-04-2009 7:12 PM

• jbswoods
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-04-2009
    • CA
    • Posts 2

CalPers Industrial Disability Retirement

I have been a Correctional Officer in CA for over 10 years. I was injured in a training accident in 01.  Comp has paid for 8 knee surgeries, 3 ACL and one Partial Replacement (both knees) I contiued to work after each surgery until the overtime in 06 knocked me down for good. 16 hours of stairs 3 days a week was it.  I will forever be mobily chalenged. I applied for retirement in 06.  CalPers said I had over 500 pages of medical info and they had no time to go through it so off I went to their Dr.  He told me that Of course I could not walk, I had too many knee surgeries.  But he said that was my fault I did it to stay of work. I filed a complaint against this Dr.- He was unique.  He called me names and twisted my knees telling me to stop faking when he made me cry.  He met me at the door with "So, you never want to work again" Pers sent my complaint to the Dr. who answered with "I didn;t do that"  I asked for a new exam with a new Dr. No answer.

I appealed the denial based on his exam and I have 2 Dr's ready to go to court.  It has been over 2 years. No word.  I even took a resonable accomodation to an Analyst that lasted for four months.  When I tried to come back 4 weeks after the knee replacement they said they were sorry, I don't medically quality for the job.  The prison will not even let me be a secretary.

When does Calpers look at an appeal.  I have sent letters from numerous doctors. I even found an attorney who will help for 30% and nothing up front.  I have lost everything. Filed backruptcy, cars repossed and I can't even afford living any more. My attorney filed a complaint against the Dr. for up to a dozen clients and said he has never approved a retirement.  That was back in October- still nothing.

How long can Calpers ignore me.  No one in town will hire me.  I am not able to bend, lift or walk but I can input.  This is a small town- all offices need full people.  I'm a half people.  Help!

• 10-18-2010 6:16 PM In reply to

Re: CalPers Industrial Disability Retirement

What ever happened? I am now going thought a hard ordeal with CALPERS myself.

• 03-09-2011 12:30 PM In reply to

• jbswoods
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-04-2009
    • CA
    • Posts 2

Calpers let this go on for almost four years. they finally scheduled a hearing for me. I went to my attory's office about a month before the hearing, scraped up the money for the doctor's to testify and waited. My attorney contacted calpers to confirm the date and time and they told him the hearing had been canceled. They had finally read the file and granted it.  It took about two months after that for retirement to start and back pay came at about that time. They are wonderfull to talk to now. Very polite group of people.

I actually called my state senator (cox, before he passed) and someone from his office helped me with calpers, they were able to contact them and actually get answers.

• 06-27-2013 4:48 PM In reply to

• avj81171
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-27-2013
    • CA
    • Posts 1

Can you give me the name and phone number of your attorney that only required 30% and nothing up front? I'm in the middle of a disability retirement battle with Calpers too and I cant seem to find a lawer that does cases like that.

thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community