noxious odors invade from downstairs apartment

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 01-21-2011 7:33 PM by anndee. 15 replies.
  • 05-20-2009 12:38 PM

noxious odors invade from downstairs apartment

I have lived in the same apartment complex for 6 years without incident.

Last year a new tenant moved in to the apartment below me.  Ever since then there have been "noxious odors" eminating from their apartment that completely engulfs my apartment and suffocates me.  There is no where inside my apartment that I can go to avoid this offensive odor.

I complained to the Landlord and they offered me to move to another apartment, I declined saying that this location was great but, the odor and they said that because the people are Indian/Pakistani and could not have them move because that would be racist.  They gave me (for use only) air purifiers but when the noxious odors come from downstairs the purifiers are overwhelmed and cannot clean the air.  They have told me they will not do anything else...they say their hands are tied...why do I have to smell the odors from the apartment downstairs?  

I cannot enjoy the use of my apartment because of the noxious fumes that invade my apartment from downstairs.  I don't make enough to move at the present time and I shouldn't have to smell the stench from below.

asking for your help so I can breathe again

• 05-20-2009 1:04 PM In reply to

Re: noxious odors invade from downstairs apartment

Is the smell from food or not? Indian food is not noxious; in fact personally I love it and the smell. If the smell is truly noxious perhaps they are running a meth lab?

If it is food then there is not much you can do except maybe ask your landlord to install a kitchen fan in their unit to blow the smell outside. If it is something else that is illegal then you can call the police.

I don't think moving them to a different unit constitutes discrimination. Fair housing has been satisfied as they already have a unit.

** I am not an attorney and I am not giving legal advice **

• 05-20-2009 1:31 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,271

Interesting clash of values.  I doubt cooking odors rise to point of being uninhabitable . I hope you are not talking about the local meth lab.

Long ago as a grad student I lived next to a group of students from India --and I must agree the cooking odors were way out!

But I don't think even now as wiser to the system rules I could make a winning point that the odors made the place unfit for habitation.

The last time I flew Air France I could not sort out the source of a particular killer body odor --it was like to knock you off your feet--worse than riding a crowed subway in July in Athens Greece --come to find out it was the drop dead good looking Air France stewardess.

Individual cultural differences won't get you anyplace-and LL made you offer of reasonable accomodation......

• 05-20-2009 8:51 PM In reply to

I would take the other apartment.

You aren't going to win this.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 05-21-2009 5:04 PM In reply to

• Kivi
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-01-2005
    • CA
    • Posts 5,913

Agree

Take the other apartment.

• 10-29-2010 4:18 PM In reply to

I also just moved into an apartment.  I didn't notice anything the first few days and then...oh migosh...There is a pervasive, odor that could gag a maggot that surrounds the two buildings surrounding my apartment.  It is strongest at the front doors of three tenants adjacent to my apartment and is intermittent.  It is worse every night and morning and then dissipates for two to three hours during the afternoon each day. 

It's a mixture of acrid smells but on some evenings/nights; it smells like a 900 lb. cat is pissing everywhere.  At night I am having an increasingly hard time sleeping and I am having asthma attacks for the first time in ten years as well as a chronically racing heartbeat.

Of course, I did the good citizen thing and went to my landlord.  She explored the problem with the neighbors who all claim they don't notice anything all the while I can't eat breakfast in my own apartment becuase the smell of these fumes of unknown origin make me sick to my stomach.

I have to hold my breath when I walk down the walkway between these apartments because the odor literally masks me put up my hand to "defend myself" from the smell.  While my apartment manager says that she has smelled it (with me) she says there is nothing she can do.  I have a 12 month lease.  What do I do?

If anyone has legal or other advise to help me, please reply to this post.  I am at my wits end and my health is failing fast.

• 10-29-2010 8:59 PM In reply to

Call the local health department.

Something that pervasive might be a health hazard or something illegal.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 10-29-2010 9:46 PM In reply to

bornwryter:

It's a mixture of acrid smells but on some evenings/nights; it smells like a 900 lb. cat is pissing everywhere. 

At night I am having an increasingly hard time sleeping and I am having asthma attacks for the first time in ten years as well as a chronically racing heartbeat.

I have a 12 month lease.  What do I do?

my health is failing fast.

OK, first, LMAO at your cat pee description!

Second, it sounds like you might be allergic to whatever it is making the smell. 

Third, I'd ask for a different apt. if I were you.

• 10-29-2010 9:56 PM In reply to

I think you should reconsider taking the other apt. offer.  If it is truly that offensive to you then you should move.

I am also sensitive to strong smells.  Of course I LOVE Indian food and their smells but once I'm done eating i'm done with smelling "dinner odors".  Even my own cooking or my husband's cooking odors are offensive when I smell them later when I'm not hungry.

Also consider that you probably smell like this stench you desccribed.  If it's permeating your apt. then it's in your clothes and your furniture as well.

• 11-01-2010 3:56 PM In reply to

I've asked.  They are thinking about it.  In the meantime the manager's boss is out of town until November 8th and I am trapped in an uninhabitable apartment.  My health is declining rapidly and at this rate I will not sleep between now and the 8th.  My heart is racing when I am in the apartment  and I am unable to fall asleep.

I'd give anything for a safe living environment at this point!

bornwryter

• 11-01-2010 3:58 PM In reply to

Good idea.  I will do that today.  If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Ann

• 11-01-2010 4:05 PM In reply to

bornwryter:

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

Have you ever taken Benadryl before?  If you respond favorably to it (I don't, it keeps me awake and makes me restless) then I would try some of that to see if it relieves your symptoms.  If it does then you will pretty much know it is an allergy.

• 11-01-2010 4:33 PM In reply to

I agree with your suggestion but the offer is not really on the table and my health is failing fast.  The manager made the offer but her boss has not agreed.  In the meantime, I have been walking around the apartment campus at night (this seems to be the favorite time for meth manufacturing) and I am finding a few pockets of the noxious odor around other apartments.  It is no where near as intense or pervasive as in my own living room but it makes me nervous about moving nonetheless.  I am confused with this problem (since it is so obvious and blatant) has not been dealt with more assertively.  I have been complaining about since two days after I moved in and, if anything it is getting worse not better.

Ann 

• 11-02-2010 3:48 PM In reply to

Truffles4me,

I appreciate your creative problem solving.  I think I am definitely reacting to the chemicals; however, I think the problem far exceeds an antihistamine. Events last night made it obvious it is a meth lab.  The man in the apartment next door who I thought was the culprit, brought pvc pipe and supplies into his apartment at 2:00 AM.  He had a friend toting bags of stuff as well.  No one could use that many chemicals and substances for personal use. 

People are also walking across the grass from outside the complex and entering his apartment all night long.  So...if I stay I can expect my health to fail.  I went out to my car and slept in the back seat (it's good I'm small) when the fumes became overwhelming last night.  It was the first real sleep I've gotten in days.

Sigh...I think meth is the result of a human IQ test we have failed.  How can something so toxic and life altering is recreational?  Maybe I am blessed I have no tolerance for this crap.

• 11-02-2010 4:49 PM In reply to

Oh wow.  I'd go to the doc and tell him what's going on and they can test to see how much of those chemicals you have in you.  THEN maybe the landlord would be able to shake it up around there?  I'm afraid that your apt. would STILL not be safe if it stopped right now.  I think the HazMat team has to do stuff to it to make it safe again?  I'm not sure.  You may want to Google it.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community