Extortion?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 05-21-2009 9:36 PM by adjuster jack. 2 replies.
  • 05-21-2009 1:45 PM

• js1960
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-29-2009
    • SC
    • Posts 20

Sad [:(] Extortion?

My friend heads a company in which an employee was fired for her performance.  She then came forward with tapes from having a hidden tape recorder and for months she taped conversations she had with people at work making disparaging remarks about the leadership at the company. Nothing that was taped shows the co. did anything illegal or against co. policy but she is threatening that if she isn't re-hired she will go to the newspaper or state with the tapes.  Isn't this extortion?

• 05-21-2009 3:25 PM In reply to

Re: Extortion?

It  more like blackmail but the whole situation is ridiculous.  Gee, employees criticizing management.  There's a new one.  I can't IMAGINE the local newspaper would have the remotest interest in that and this has absolutely nothing to do with the State.

I hope your friend is ignoring these ludicrous threats.

BTW, recording conversations in Florida without the consent of all parties is a felony.  Your friend can always mention that to the ex-employee and that the police might be interested in knowing that she is (a) attempting to blackmail the company and (b) using illegally recorded conversations to do so.  That ought to scare the bejesus out of her and get her to go away forever.

• 05-21-2009 9:36 PM In reply to

Re: Extortion?

Beth3:
    BTW, recording conversations in Florida without the consent of all parties is a felony. Your friend can always mention that to the ex-employee and that the police might be interested in knowing that she is (a) attempting to blackmail the company and (b) using illegally recorded conversations to do so. That ought to scare the bejesus out of her and get her to go away forever.

Frankly, I'd be reporting the blackmail and the tapes to the police right now.

Let the police scare the bejesus out of her.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community