Unethical Legal Practices

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 06-22-2009 3:30 PM by Cyndy A. Johnson. 4 replies.
  • 05-26-2009 2:42 PM

• atofrank
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-26-2009
    • PA
    • Posts 2

Unethical Legal Practices

I am in the process of going through a divorce in Pennsylvania. I have sent in several emails to my lawyers asking questions or trying to get a status on the case.  What they are doing is they are charging me for sending in the emails but they never answer them.  Then on top of that,  a few days later I will call and ask why the email was never answered and they charge me for the call as well.  It seems they are purposly ignoring the emails I send(even though they still charge me) and then they know their client will eventually call because the email was ignored and they charge for that too.  They are charging me twice on numerous occasions for the same thing.  Is this legal?  It is obviously very unethical to do this to your own clients.  Also, since this case began 4 different people have left this firm.  I got a call from a new lawyer just introducing herself saying that she will be handling the case now.  We did not even talk about the case, she just said she will be handling the case now and I thanked her for the call.  Of course,  at the end of the month they charged me for this call.  I basically got charged $40 for yet another new lawyer at this firm to call me just to let me know she is now working on it.  On top of that, this new lawywer is sending me a lot of email now that I don't want and I suspect this is simply to charge me even more money.  Please HELP!!  What should I do?

• 05-26-2009 4:10 PM In reply to

Re: Unethical Legal Practices

If you no longer trust your lawyer, fire her and hire someone else.

It is not unethical to bill for the time it takes to deal with communications from the client.

• 05-27-2009 9:52 AM In reply to

• atofrank
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-26-2009
    • PA
    • Posts 2

Lynn,  thanks for your reply on this.  I don't think I worded my posting very well.  I know lawyers bill for time it takes to deal with communications from cleints.  What I am saying is if I send them an email they purposly ignore the email and then simply charge me for clicking the send button.  They never reply to the email, they simply charge me for sending it to them.  Then when I call and ask why no one answered my email, they charge me for the call too.  It could be 2 weeks later on some occasions and they will not answer the email.  They basically tell me to send an email if I have a question so I follow their orders, they then blatently and purposly ignore the email which then forces the client to call them so they can then charge for the call as well.  Since I am close to the end of this ordeal I don't want to hire another lawyer and probably could not afford a new retainer fee anyway.  Also, like I said 4 lawyers left this firm in the last year so something is not right here.  Can anyone guess how much something like this should cost?  This was a custody/divorce case.  We never went to court, everything done out of court with no litigation.  My entire case is literally filing paperwork, my wife is not contesting anything and they have nearly $4,000 from me and they said there is still more "paperwork" to do.  Does anyone know how to report firms to the Bar Association?

• 06-22-2009 3:02 PM In reply to

You can file a complaint at the site below.

http://www.padisciplin...

• 06-22-2009 3:30 PM In reply to

I get charged for everything like that. I think thats how it works.Phone calls, emails, meetings. Etc.  Sometimes attorneys are working on it for you, just they dont have the time to fill you in on every detail.

Last year we had a different attorney, but anyway,  My boyfriend was going into the court house to check on the deed. Anyway he runs into the attorney in the court house. Just talks to the guy in passing for about ONE minute. Gets a bill for over $100.

My attorney that I have this time, lets me know when something is going on, but I think we clients WOULD like alittle more talking. Attorneys forget that we clients are very curious, and we dont understand the system, we want a bit more communication.

Thats why I ask questions here sometimes. I have a MILLION questions i would like answers to, but my lawyer would Not answer them all. He wouldnt have time. I have to many.  I really think they are way more busy then we know.

cyndi

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community