Uninsured but not at fault

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 06-25-2009 2:12 PM by adjuster jack. 3 replies.
  • 06-25-2009 1:12 PM

Uninsured but not at fault

On Monday, I was stopped at a stop sign, and another vehicle was completely stopped behind me. A third driver did not realize there would be a stop, and hit his breaks too late- colliding with the vehicle behind me which then hit me. I was the only person injured in the accident, and ended up seeking care for whiplash the next morning.

Both other drivers were insured and I was not. (I had actually called fifteen minutes before the accident to reinstate my liability insurance which was cancelled from non payment, that's another story of course. The reinstatement was more than I could afford, so I couldn't pay it. Anyone reading this is free to point and laugh now.)

In my understanding, the at fault driver's insurance will pay to repair my vehicle or total it out depending on the cost of repair. I also read that in the state of UT where liability with PIP is required, your insurance pays the first $3000 of medical or pain/suffering. What I cannot find out it seems, is what happens if I was uninsured?

• 06-25-2009 1:51 PM In reply to

Re: Uninsured but not at fault

BlueEyedDi:
    Anyone reading this is free to point and laugh now

It's nothing to laugh about. Consider yourself lucky to have not caused the accident. You'd be in crap city for many years to come. Even now you could be in crap city if the police wake up and decide to issue you a citation for no insurance. 

BlueEyedDi:
    I also read that in the state of UT where liability with PIP is required, your insurance pays the first $3000 of medical or pain/suffering. What I cannot find out it seems, is what happens if I was uninsured?

The whole idea of no-fault is that you can't sue for the first $3000 and you can't be sued by anybody else for the first $3000.

The first $3000 of medical expenses and lost earnings comes out of your pocket.

And that's just the beginning. When you go to buy insurance now the price will be much higher than the price you couldn't afford earlier.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 06-25-2009 2:07 PM In reply to

The officer at the accident specifically told me he would not be issuing a citation- it was not "overlooked".

• 06-25-2009 2:12 PM In reply to

Good for you.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community