family rights in washington state-CPS case

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 06-30-2009 10:11 AM by Northapt. 2 replies.
  • 06-27-2009 7:56 PM

• Northapt
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-27-2009
    • WA
    • Posts 2

family rights in washington state-CPS case

When I heard CPS in WA was corrupt I didn’t want to believe it. Now I do. I asked to have my 3-yr old granddaughter placed with me when my daughter went to jail and CPS started a dependency (drug use)

WA law says family placement comes before foster care. WAC 388-25-0445 requires that

“ When the department determines that a child needs to be placed outside the home, the department must search for appropriate relatives to care for the child before considering non-relative placements.” They ignore my requests and simply tell me I have no rights as a grandparent and am not a party in the action. I was told by a supervisor “file a 3rd party action to get the child or give the money to charity; it would do as much good.” I was of course out-raged and am hiring a lawyer. They told one foster mom (who I know) that she could take her but only if she agreed to adopt her at the conclusion of the dependency.  She refused that part and they no longer consider her ‘appropriate"... I see from various web sites, this has become a common practice here in WA.  Manipulating foster parents into adopting or the child goes off to foster care placement black hole. My granddaughter is still in an emergency shelter care home after 2-weeks. I will have the $2500 I need for counsel on Monday. Any comments?

• 06-29-2009 3:06 PM In reply to

Re: family rights in washington state-CPS case

Just because they have to LOOK for family placement doesn't mean they must place the child there.

CPS is governed by statute and, likely, admin regs.

CPS workers have bosses.  I'd be calling the agency and asking to speak with the caseworker's supervisor.

Northapt:
    They told one foster mom (who I know) that she could take her but only if she agreed to adopt her at the conclusion of the dependency.

Without having ever practiced CP stuff, I think you could agree to that and refuse at the end.  Moreover, most dependency situations result in reunification, I believe, which would eliminate the problem.

• 06-30-2009 10:11 AM In reply to

• Northapt
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-27-2009
    • WA
    • Posts 2

Re: family rights in washington state-CPS case

I have spoken with a supervisor who was very condescending toward me. The decisions of the agency seem to just be liability-driven decision making. And that’s concerning because this whole system is supposed to be about the best interests of children. My attorney tells me she believes these practices and the manipulation of foster parents, making them feel they have to adopt children in their care, needs to be exposed.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community