Background check without permission

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 07-13-2009 10:09 AM by adjuster jack. 6 replies.
  • 07-12-2009 3:02 PM

• Arash111
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-12-2009
    • CA
    • Posts 3

Background check without permission

I have learned recently that somebody has did a back ground check on me without permission.

the person also said that I was also a victim of identity theft, that I would imagine that this info cannot be obtained without a credit check or getting a report through SSA.

I have to Add that this person is not a perspective employer nor I am applying for loan.

First, how can I identify the person/company who did the check

Second, what are my legal options. 

I am really frasturated and determined to do something about it. I eally appreciate your input.

thanks

• 07-12-2009 3:11 PM In reply to

Re: Background check without permission

Most information is readily available on the internet anyway. 

What they actually did with your information will depend what if anything your "legal" options are as well as what you can "do" about it.

As to what compnay "did" the check, the person may have done it themselves via the internet.  In the computer era one need not hire anyone to do it for them. 

Your post if vague on details.  Can you be more specific?

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• 07-12-2009 4:02 PM In reply to

• Arash111
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-12-2009
    • CA
    • Posts 3

These informations were pulled from somewhere anyways right?...for example, to pull somebody's credit you have to either use the 3 credit bureus website, which it's not ready for everyone, or use other websites that in turn get them from these 3 burues.  Do they leave any type of trail, since these infos are protected by law?

please let me knoe, how can somebody know that i was victim of identity theft? what source is there to give such information? 

• 07-13-2009 8:54 AM In reply to

• Cica
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-23-2003
    • Posts 6,519

Take a look at this:

http://www.google.com/...

Anyone has access to any information that is available on public records.

• 07-13-2009 9:24 AM In reply to

There is a tremendous amount of information about people on the internet. You'd be amazed.

If you think somebody accessed your credit reports, then order copies from all three bureaus and look at the list of inquiries. The list will tell you who or what made the inquiry. You can get them for free once a year at

https://www.annualcred...

It's permissable by law to run a credit report without your consent if there is a valid business reason. However, one has to be a paying member of the credit bureau with a membership contract specifying duties and obligations. So the average Joe Blow isn't going to be running credit reports that easy.

You wrote: "the person also said", which seems to imply that you know the "person" and spoke with the "person". Who is it? Friend? Relative? Spouse? Ex-Spouse? Boy Friend? Girl Friend? Employer? Somebody else?

And what information, exactly, did this person get that led him/her to conclude that you were the victim of identity theft?

You really are short on important details.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 07-13-2009 9:39 AM In reply to

• Arash111
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-12-2009
    • CA
    • Posts 3

Ok let me elaborate:

the person I speak of is a girl freind, however the person who did the check is not her but a person she asked to do the check that is an acquaintance. And there is NO valid reason for the person to check my Credit Report, such as applying for loanany government issue, etc.

You asked:

And what information, exactly, did this person get that led him/her to conclude that you were the victim of identity theft?

That question is what I want to know.  what info is out there that can lead a person to conclude that? and can I track it?

• 07-13-2009 10:09 AM In reply to

Arash111:
    the person I speak of is a girl freind

I figured it was something like that.

Arash111:
    the person who did the check is not her but a person she asked to do the check that is an acquaintance.

It's possible that the acquaintance works somewhere that is a member of a credit bureau. That could be hanky panky.

Why don't you just ask your girlfriend who did, where that person works, and how they did it?

Arash111:
    what info is out there that can lead a person to conclude that?
    As I wrote, there's lot's of information but it's anybody's guess as to what specific information can lead to a conclusion that somebody is a victim of identity theft.

You can google your name, address, phone number, each separately and you'll see what comes up.

Put your name and location in zabasearch.com and see what comes up.

Put your address in zillow.com and see what comes up.

Go to your county assessor's website and your property information is public record.

Go to your county tax office website and your tax records are public record.

Go to your county recorder's website and you'll find that recorded documents on you are public record.

Go to your court website and you'll find that divorce, criminal, and civil cases are all public record.

I seriously suggest you obtain your three credit reports and see where the most recent inquiries came from. That will, at least, tell you if your credit report was accessed illegally. Then report back here.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community