Affidavit of Waiver of Interest in Child

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 07-23-2009 12:54 PM by LynnM. 10 replies.
  • 07-17-2009 2:44 PM

• nverzier
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-17-2009
    • CT
    • Posts 5

Affidavit of Waiver of Interest in Child

Okay, so I will try and make this is as short as possible. Basically, I am in the middle of a divorce that should have been done 2 years ago. I am now 6 months pregnant by a guy I had been dating for a year. However, he has taken a swim in the deep end and has now decided he wants nothing to do with the baby because I have chosen to not be with him because of the person he has become. I live in the state of Connecticut, but he lives in the state of Alaska. I don't trust him as far as I can throw him. I really don't want to have to supply him an address. He does have my email and cell phone number. He likes to stalk me online and everything else. He has another daughter who is 4 months old who he is signing over his rights to as well. However, that situation is a little different because that girl is married. Where can I obtain a copy of an Affidavit of Waiver in Interest in Child. Everything I have found via google is only for the state of Texas. I do have an Affidavit or Consent to Termination of Parental Rights for Connecticut. The only problem is it says it must be signed in front of a Connecticut judge and he is in Alaska. Can anyone help me out? Thank you in advance.

• 07-17-2009 2:49 PM In reply to

Re: Affidavit of Waiver of Interest in Child

Most states don't allow parents to give up their obligations to their child, but if Connecticut does, he'll have to come to your state.  Otherwise, file for child support and he'll likely decide a trip to CT is worth his while rather than pay 18 years of support.

Frankly, this is important enough that I would consult with a local attorney to get everything right.  Only  a CT attorney can give you the real lowdown.

• 07-17-2009 2:58 PM In reply to

• nverzier
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-17-2009
    • CT
    • Posts 5

Yeah, I think talking to a local lawyer here will be my next step. I know nothing can be done until the baby is born, but I just like knowing what will end up happening in the long run.

• 07-17-2009 3:11 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,948

Go after him for the maximun amount of CS your state law provides--thats sure to get his attention--

• 07-17-2009 3:16 PM In reply to

• nverzier
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-17-2009
    • CT
    • Posts 5

In reality, I don't want child support from him. That, and he's probably being kicked out of the Army and will have a lot of difficulty getting a job. So, he would never be able to pay anyway.

• 07-17-2009 4:36 PM In reply to

Why even bother with this man anymore? Wash your hands of him. This guy is an idiot if he thinks he can just go around getting women pregnant and signing away his rights.

Is your husband then legally able to dispute paternity so he is not stuck as the legal father? If you choose not to file for child support or government assistance and want nothing to do with this guy, then nobody will get in the way, that is if the other guy doesn't come around either.

Figure out how you are going to support this baby totally on your own.

• 07-17-2009 4:50 PM In reply to

• nverzier
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-17-2009
    • CT
    • Posts 5

Well, I would like to wash my hands clean of him. However, I don't want him coming back later on down the road. He is really screwed up in the head and I don't want him messing up my child's life. He's violent, an addict in so many ways (drinking, etc.) I have screen shots from his online activities and certain things he would say like referencing a nose party. He is still very much an immature party boy and has no intentions of sacraficing his ways for a child.

Yes, he really does think it's okay to get women pregnant and sign over his rights. My child will make child number two. Mind you, the other baby was born 4 days after I conceived. I keep jokingly saying I need to get a petition going to get him fixed.

My husband will be getting a paternity test as soon as the baby is born. Him and I are still friendly with each other. We just couldn't make it as husband and wife. He said there's a part of him that wants to remain on the birth certificate just so I don't have to deal with the other, but I won't have him do that because I know it is morally wrong.

My only fear is him coming back at a later date to try and mess things up some more. It's what he's good at.

As far as supporting my child, that much I am not worried about. I have a job, a house, a car, and I'm currently in school so soon enough I will have the ability to have an even better job than what I have right now.

• 07-17-2009 4:53 PM In reply to

Even if he says now he isn't interested, that doesn't mean he can't come back later and ask for visitation.  I don't see how you can prevent that.

• 07-20-2009 4:01 PM In reply to

Two things flow from being a parent - rights and obligations.

Rights are exercised, or not, at the discretion of the party owning the right.

Obligations cannot be given up volluntarily.

In the legal system the rights and obligations flow from the "parent-child relationship" (PCR).  That's a legal relationship, kind of like marriage is a legal relationship.  Many/most states aren't going to terminate PCR unless another man is there willing to adopt, because it eliminates the obligation to support the child.  That obligation then falls to the taxpayers, if it is ever needed.  Taxpayers don't like that.  As long as the legal relationship exists, he can always seek rights in court.

Your best bet is an adoption, but if you are divorcing that's not likely.

• 07-23-2009 12:52 PM In reply to

You don't get to erase him from his child's life. He does not have to have a relationship with her but it is HIS choice, not yours. You do not have the right to waive your child's right to be supported by her father.

• 07-23-2009 12:54 PM In reply to

"However, I don't want him coming back later on down the road. "

The time to make that decision was BEFORE you had sex. That ship has sailed now.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community