Direct Sales affect IL unemployment benefits?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Thu, Jul 30 2009 5:43 PM by adjuster jack. 1 replies.
  • Thu, Jul 30 2009 5:37 PM

• Emat
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 30 2009
    • IL
    • Posts 1

Direct Sales affect IL unemployment benefits?

I have been receiving unemployment benefits in IL since December 2008. I am currently getting the extension. I would like to start a direct sales business (while still looking for work) and have had lots of mixed answers about if direct sales (1099 business) income will render me ineligible for benefits. I know there is a weekly amount that I can make and still receive benefits (considered PT work) but since the nature of a direct sales business can fluctuate so much, I'm wondering if having one good "party" in one week would discontinue my benefits for good?

• Thu, Jul 30 2009 5:43 PM In reply to

Re: Direct Sales affect IL unemployment benefits?

Emat:
    I'm wondering if having one good "party" in one week would discontinue my benefits for good?

Probably not.

Typically you file for benefits each week and you are asked if you made any money and how much. If the how much is more than the allowable amount you would be disqualified for benefits for just that week. Next week you would file again and answer the same question. If you made less than the allowable amount you could get partial benefit for that week.

That's what I'm familiar with in AZ and NY.

I suggest you call the state UI office and run the question by them or see if the answer is on their website.

Make sure you keep careful contemporaneous documentation of your earnings in case you have to provide them to the UI office. Count on keeping the records for several years as they'd be the same records you'll need for the IRS in the event you are ever audited.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community