Can one claim Lottery money anonymously in NY?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Sun, Aug 23 2009 10:17 PM by adjuster jack. 8 replies.
  • Sun, Aug 23 2009 3:08 PM

• Seanjk
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 23 2009
    • NY
    • Posts 2

Can one claim Lottery money anonymously in NY?

Just out of curiosity if one can claim the lottery prize money in NY without revealing his/her identity in ANY way. Not to avoid tax of course, but to hide identity to avoid massive stalkers/money beggars coming after for the rest of the life. If it's possible, what steps should I need to take also, what will be fee requirement?
  • Sun, Aug 23 2009 3:30 PM In reply to

Re: Can one claim Lottery money anonymously in NY?

Sure, happens sometimes when some people are smart enough to do this.  You go to a competent attorney first and establish a living trust and have the trust claim the winning ticket.  The trust never dies and then the trust pays you.  The lottery also recommends claiming the money this way for the very same reasons and for sound investment reasons. 

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Sun, Aug 23 2009 3:41 PM In reply to

• Seanjk
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 23 2009
    • NY
    • Posts 2

Thank you for quick respond. One more question, if I want to establish 'living trust' is there extra tax/fee or any other expense that's required?
  • Sun, Aug 23 2009 3:52 PM In reply to

ClydesMom:
    You go to a competent attorney first and establish a living trust and have the trust claim the winning ticket. The trust never dies and then the trust pays you.

Even that might not insure your privacy.

According to the NY lottery rules:

• 2803.12 Publicity release Each prize winner grants to the director the right to use his name, city of residence, and photograph in order to publicize his winnings. The name and city of residence of prize winners shall be regarded as public information; however, it shall be the policy of the division not to release the street address or telephone number of prize winners, except as may be required pursuant to lawful authority or urgent necessity. At the discretion of the director, photographs of winners may be taken and used for publicity or to compile a photographic record of winners.

If your trust is the "prize winner" then your trust is subject to the publicity release.

And if you win a hundred million dollars, trust or no trust, I'll guarantee that your photo will somehow reach the front page of the NY Post and Daily News.

Seanjk:
    if I want to establish 'living trust' is there extra tax/fee or any other expense that's required?

For a simple living trust the lowest attorney fee I've seen is about $700 but you can probably count on fees ranging from $1000 and up.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Sun, Aug 23 2009 3:58 PM In reply to

Someone pulled it off down in Florida I think.  There was a rather large jackpot and they had a trust claim it.  The attorney went it with the ticket and claimed it for the trust and that was the end of it.  No one ever did figure out whose it was. Attorney client privilege protects your identity.

There was a documentary on people who have won lotteries and a couple who hit it fairly big consulted good investment counsel and have done kind of the same and stayed away from family and managed it through a trust.

• Sun, Aug 23 2009 4:02 PM In reply to

"If your trust is the "prize winner" then your trust is subject to the publicity release."

If the NY lottery want to take a picture of my attorney and put the Ernest P. Fartlequat Trust on the front page of the NY Daily News and the Post so be it.  It sure wouldn't be MY picture on the front pages and that would be all that matters!

• Sun, Aug 23 2009 4:18 PM In reply to

If Ernest P. Fartlequat put his name on the trust the reporters would be on his doorstep in a heartbeat.Ok

• to keep and bear arms,
  • Sun, Aug 23 2009 4:33 PM In reply to

If Ernest P. Fartlequat put his name on the trust the reporters would be on his doorstep in a heartbeat.

Nah that's just the name I would give it.  You should see the spokes model I would hire to represent it too!  Idea

• Sun, Aug 23 2009 10:17 PM In reply to

ClydesMom:
    If Ernest P. Fartlequat put his name on the trust the reporters would be on his doorstep in a heartbeat. Nah that's just the name I would give it.

Hmmm, I'll have to remember that name when I create my trust.

• to keep and bear arms,
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community