Recently stopped by Costco Loss Prevention

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 07-01-2010 11:21 PM by Cica. 22 replies.
  • 09-18-2009 6:11 PM

• bremmerm
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-24-2008
    • TX
    • Posts 10

Recently stopped by Costco Loss Prevention

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplo...

I recently took a trip to Costco to purchase groceries, after getting a soda and hot dog i approached the exit and realized that my receipt was in my Wallet, rather than waiting in line to show someone that I had in fact purchased the things that I had purchased I just walked out with my rightfully purchased items. The store clerk Yelled at me and ran at me and said I had to give him my receipt. I said I am okay and proceeded on. He then grabbed my cart and jerked it back towards the entrance in a very abrasive and embarrassing manner. I finally caved out of embarrassment and pulled my receipt out and handed it to him. He forcefully removed the receipt from my hand and when I went to grab it back he held on to it while I was retrieving it ripping it in two.

I spoke with a manager and gave him my information and told him I was appalled by the policies that govern there employees to go outside and force people back inside who have rightfully paid for their items.

What kind of rights do I have here? I understand there policy of getting receipts at the store but I don’t understand humiliating me in the middle of a crowded parking lot over items that I owned.

Thanks.

• 09-18-2009 6:13 PM In reply to

Re: Recently stopped by Costco Loss Prevention

You have the right to shop elsewhere.  They have the right to run their business as they see fit.

• 09-18-2009 6:21 PM In reply to

If you want to shop at Costco or Sams Club you play by their rules.

I show my card on the way in.

I show my receipt on the way out.

It's no BFD.

Get over it.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 09-18-2009 6:26 PM In reply to

• bremmerm
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-24-2008
    • TX
    • Posts 10

I understand both of your statements and agree to a point, i won't be shopping at costco any longer.

But what are your thoughts about getting physical and humiliating in that circumstance?

• 09-18-2009 6:28 PM In reply to

Honestly?  You knew the rules and decided to ignore them.  Your humiliation was of your own doing.

• 09-18-2009 6:42 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,967

Well I know some store folks who got fired for physical confrontations with customers. So if the store security person or clerk physically assaulted or threatened you in parking lot you may be able to do a number on his continued employment.

Personally I suspect you were about 90% in wrong and employee may have mildly over reacted --but you were there I wasn't.

Being humiliated doesn't count UNLESS employee accused you falsely in front of others .

I think you are on wrong side of this one as I read it--Get over it .

• 09-18-2009 6:51 PM In reply to

• bremmerm
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-24-2008
    • TX
    • Posts 10

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplo... Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplo...

I respect your opinion.

But let’s put my shoes on. I just spent $200 + dollars and there is a long line of people waiting to prove they own the items that they just paid for.

The person at the door is not checking to see if you paid for your items, because there is NO way they can glance over the receipt in 2 seconds and figure out if all the items in the cart match your receipt. It's bogus, it is a waste of my time and I did not have time to deal with it that. I spend nearly $500 a month that that store. Typically I will stop only because I’ll leave the receipt in the front of my cart.

Although this time I was not thinking when I put it in my wallet after purchasing a soda. So I did not want to stop. I did not want to stop even more when the person YELLED at me, not professionally ask me to see my receipt but YELL at me and chase me down.

So do I have to play by there rules? No I do not have to play by their rules. Because if everyone played Costco's rules or Best buy's rules then we would have to start showing our receipt when exited a convenience store or when ever we got done watching a movie we’d have to prove that we only watched one!

In the justice system its up to the courts to prove we did not commit a crime but I guess in a grocery store its up to me to prove that I did not steal the items I am leaving with?

• 09-18-2009 6:58 PM In reply to

• bremmerm
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-24-2008
    • TX
    • Posts 10

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplo...

I not totally over it. I asked the employee if this is standard procedure if someone does not show you there receipt? He said, how do I know you paid for that stuff? Hmmmmmmm, I have about 10 ways to answer that but simply put, Not my problem. I know I purchased them. Also, i am not out to get anyone fired, when I spoke with the manager I told him I am not upset at the employee, I am upset at your policy of chasing people down.

• 09-18-2009 7:04 PM In reply to

"In the justice system its up to the courts to prove we did not commit a crime but I guess in a grocery store its up to me to prove that I did not steal the items I am leaving with?"

Now you are getting it.  The government has to follow the Law of the US Constitution when dealing with citizens.  Private business gets to set it's own rules and requirements and if you don't want to play by them then don't shop there.  Period.  You can file a complaint with the store management but I wouldn't expect much to come of it.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• 09-18-2009 7:07 PM In reply to

We've given you our opinions.

There's no sense continuing to kick a dead horse.

We'll only keep telling you that you are wrong. You won't like being told you are wrong. And you'll keep coming back with more discussion. And next thing you know, this thread will have 35 posts full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

You are free to consult an attorney or Costco management or the newspapers or TV stations if it will help.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 09-18-2009 7:10 PM In reply to

My thoughts? You could have avoided the whole thing by getting your receipt out of your wallet, either before you approached the door or when the employee asked you to stop.

• 09-18-2009 7:31 PM In reply to

• bremmerm
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-24-2008
    • TX
    • Posts 10

I enjoy the discussion and responses. If you would not like to partake then please refrain from replying.

Thanks

• 09-19-2009 2:52 PM In reply to

This is NOT a civil rights issue.  Costco is a private company requiring paid membership in order to utilize it.  Membership rules require that you show your card upon entry and your receipt upon exiting.  Those are the rules and the employees enforce them.  You chose to violate the rules and could have had your membership revoked on the spot.  If you don't want to follow the rules or don't like them, shop elsewhere. 

• 09-19-2009 3:23 PM In reply to

"I would estimate that a mimimum of a million dollars of product get stolen in a year - on the LOW side."

Years ago as I stood in line checking out of a large retailer with a number of people in the garden section we saw a man come through the doors with a small TV in a box as he exited we heard the theft alarms and he sped up and ran for the exit;  jumped in a waiting car and drove off.   All in sixty seconds.

Management proceeded to call the clerk at that exit and ask if someone had just stolen something.  Ummm, yeah but there was nothing ANYONE could do but give a description to the cops and review grainy film later.

Now why do you think they have people stationed at every exit asking to see the receipts and check the carts verifying purchases?  Because everyone is honest and KNOWS what they purchased?  Right. 

Maybe in your case Barney Fife was a little over zealous about it but if you had made your receipt availabe per store policy and stopped then you wouldn't have had anything to complain about instead you turned it into a gunfight at the OK corral and gave them the right to chase you down.  So you suffered a momentary public embarassment.  Your ego will heal and they aren't posting your picture at the Service Desk announcing to the world that it happened.  Move on already.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community