Landlord not paying property taxes?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 09-23-2009 2:21 PM by adjuster jack. 1 replies.
  • 09-23-2009 12:59 PM

• DeadRaver
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-23-2009
    • AZ
    • Posts 1

Landlord not paying property taxes?

I am currently a tennant living in Phoenix AZ. I recently got a call from the "bank" my landlord has been leasing the house from. The person on the phone assumed I was the landlord and starting asking me why I have been defaulting on payments & gave me the option to restructure the loan. He was rather surprised when I told him that I was not the owner of the property and then told me how he had been having trouble getting a hold of the original landlord. I am yet to hear back from my landlord as he is vacationing in Maui at the time.

We have always been on time with rent, and the phone call prompted me to look up the parcel on the house to retrieve the tax information. You can imagine my surprise when I found that the landlord has not paid any property taxes since he aqcuirred the house in 2007. There are currently $4000 in back-due property taxes & a 2nd lien was placed & sold on the property last Februrary.

Needless to say, I am rather concerned with the manner this is being treated with. Am I obligated to pay my rent if the firm that owns the house is being as careless with something as simple as property taxes? More importantly, should I confront my landlord with this matter? My lease doesnt run out for another 6 months but I dont want to suddenly see an evicition notice on my door & all my rent money go down the tubes. Any advice on how I should proceed with this manner is appreciated.

• 09-23-2009 2:21 PM In reply to

Re: Landlord not paying property taxes?

DeadRaver:
    Needless to say, I am rather concerned with the manner this is being treated with.

You're over-reacting.

DeadRaver:
    Am I obligated to pay my rent

Yes. Period.

DeadRaver:
    More importantly, should I confront my landlord with this matter?

That's up to you. But I don't see where it will do you any good or make a difference since he hasn't been paying for years.

DeadRaver:
    My lease doesnt run out for another 6 months but I dont want to suddenly see an evicition notice on my door & all my rent money go down the tubes.

That's just plain silly.

For the months that you have already lived there you paid rent. It didn't go "down the tubes". You got what you paid for, a place to live.

DeadRaver:
    Any advice on how I should proceed with this manner is appreciated.

Chill out and ignore it.

The county isn't going to throw you out. It'll just sell tax liens. Anybody who buys tax liens has to go through a complicated procedure to foreclose on them and usually just collects the interest for years without actually forclosing.

You are very likely safe for the next 6 months and more (if you decide to stay). If you don't want to stay past the end of your lease, there's plenty more places to rent in Phoenix.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community