New Job but haven't got paid in over a month

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 09-24-2009 10:18 AM by Drew. 9 replies.
  • 09-24-2009 8:08 AM

• MarvinKim
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-24-2009
    • NY
    • Posts 5

New Job but haven't got paid in over a month

My wife got a new job at public college and has not got paid in over a month.

They keep saying that they are having trouble with a new payroll system.

Is there something we can do?

• 09-24-2009 8:49 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,250

Re: New Job but haven't got paid in over a month

Laymans take:

If this was a failing corner store I'd be worried--but I doubt there is a substantial risk that college won't get it straight sooner or later.  Now as to major inconvenience to your family--I don't know how to solve that.

If wife is a lower pay nonadministrative worker, NY has a form/process for state dept of labor to step in and help as to nonpayments but I suspect that takes forever once you file it.

I can understand messing up one payday cycle at start, I'd even bite my lip at two--but 3 would take the cake.

Is wife sure she was added to system, signed up for pay, benefits, withholding etc--be sure and keep records.---

Practical issue may be that many such institutions put new staff on "90 day probation " or some such words and if you make a royal pain of yourself in that window you stand to get exited........

I once got hired and my scatterbrained boss fromHarvard forgot to add me to payroll and was trying to cover up his goof.

Another time in a more senior role a new monthly pay slot just happened to work such that I  needed to wait some 7 weeks   for my first check as one got paid at end of 1st FULL month and I started about the 4th. .

• 09-24-2009 8:50 AM In reply to

When was her first day worked, when should she have received her first paycheck (and for what pay period), and how often is she supposed to get paid?

And is she exempt or nonexempt?

• 09-24-2009 8:57 AM In reply to

• MarvinKim
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-24-2009
    • NY
    • Posts 5

She just got a job as a professor on tenure track at Queens College in New York.  It's a public school part of the CUNY (City University NY) system. So it is not some mom/pop shop.

She is suppose to get paid bi-weekly on Thursdays.  She started working mid August.  She was suppose to get paid 2 weeks ago and today.  Still nothing.  All the new faculty is having the same problem.  Again, they said it's a problem with their new payroll system that they switched over to recently.

• 09-24-2009 8:59 AM In reply to

• MarvinKim
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-24-2009
    • NY
    • Posts 5

And she has been teaching for a month now so I can't see how she wouldn't be in their system.

• 09-24-2009 9:07 AM In reply to

I've converted payroll systems for large public entities before and I can tell you, mistakes happen and the transition period just sucks.  In  my case, I was the Payroll Manager for a large city government (we went "live" against my better judgment and advice) and we were jumping through hoops for hours for a few paydays there cutting manual checks left and right).

Unfortunately, I'm sure she makes too much for the state DOL to accept a wage claim (over $900/week).

And, although I haven't researched it that far yet, I do know that, in a number of states, state entities are exempt from a lot of the state wage and hour/wage payment laws that the states impose on private entities.

So, what does the payroll department say when she asks when a check will be issued?  There is NO reason, none, zero (although they may have excuses), that they can't issue a manual check.  How late is the payment? 

I apologize for the payroll profession.  Employees are payroll's customers and this is terrible customer service.

• 09-24-2009 9:07 AM In reply to

• MarvinKim
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-24-2009
    • NY
    • Posts 5

i forgot to mention she is salary, not hourly

• 09-24-2009 9:13 AM In reply to

• MarvinKim
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-24-2009
    • NY
    • Posts 5

Payroll told her she should have her money deposited into her account today, being the 2nd payday.  When she asked for a manual check, they said they couldn't do that.

• 09-24-2009 9:19 AM In reply to

Of course, they CAN, they either don't know how on the new system or choose not to.  Will that be the for the pay period in arrears as well?

• 09-24-2009 10:18 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,250

I'm not up on if NY still mandates if an employee is entitled to a paper check in hand on correct date--it once was true --and I recall we send out drivers with manual checks to our NY plants when the main system crashed --or else!

But more recently I asked a senior counterpart about what they would do if employee refused to use direct deposit --her answer was short--they'd be gone.

Now tenure track staff may not be under such pressures but why invite debate over something that could backfire?

Word of caution--my spouse works for a major educatioal institution as does one of my girls --and in one of the fine print authorization forms for direct deposit I found burried language which says employee gives blanket permission to employer to back out any or all prior deposits --NO WAY!  (But she was tenured by then!) OR  Easy to end run by use of separate deposit account NOT linked to anything.

But in some academic departments the folks wouldn't know a payroll issue unless they fell over it--OR it was thier personal pocket issue  and thier legal staff is positively out of touch with some tax issues as to the treatment options for major 403b plans common to academic institutions and other exempt entities hence the salary plans are NOT tax smart--especially place like NY where income  taxes are a killer .

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community