Spending marital assets before filing divorce.

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 09-28-2009 1:42 PM by kath21. 3 replies.
  • 09-27-2009 1:55 AM

• Mannie85
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-27-2009
    • CA
    • Posts 14

Spending marital assets before filing divorce.

I understand everything in Ca is community property however; I came across an office worker who claims she has spent all the money she had saved with the husband prior to filing the divorce. To me that sounds like she is trying to hide the money but I was wondering if they can get her for that since they had not started the divorce process, not even a seperation.

• 09-27-2009 9:13 AM In reply to

Re: Spending marital assets before filing divorce.

You'd have to prove she has the money hidden somewhere.  And even if you do, they are still married, correct?  There's really no law against spending the money in the joint bank account while you are still married.  The arm of the law only reaches so far.

• 09-27-2009 12:47 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,250

If the law freezes a financial picture on say date 1/2/3 and sombody clean out accounts or rearranges things prior to said date they have decent odds of pulling it off --some states have a look back feature--others do not---you need to check if CA has a look back prior to filing..

• 09-28-2009 1:42 PM In reply to

So where was the money "spent"?  If it was all wasted on drunken parties and bar-flying, well not much one can do to get it back.

Bought a material object?   It's marital property and will be addressed in the settlement.

Hidden in another bank account? Still marital $ needing to be addressed in settlement; if can be found.  However, if a spouse refuses to say where that money is, a judge MAY decide to make her responsible for half to the other spouse.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community