sexual harassment

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 10-07-2009 10:18 AM by Cica. 2 replies.
  • 10-06-2009 11:07 PM

• Anitasam
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-06-2009
    • IL
    • Posts 3

sexual harassment

Sexual harassment, bullying,sexual discrimination for years
    By Anitasam in Sexual Harassment

Myself and others at my workplace have been being bullied by this guy for years (10+).  I work in a small family owned place of about 75 people. This man has been there since he was 14 yrs. old (48 now). I have given verbal complaints at least 25 times in the last ten years. countless other complaints from others. Sexual talk, touching himself on private areas, referring to things that can be shoved up your ___. All kinds of sick crap. I finally wrote a letter to my boss, because he picked on me constantly Mon-Thurs, verbally, sexually, psyically throwing things at me, and swearing violently at me. On the next friday he was off. and I told the plant manager that this was the last straw, I am giving my boss a letter, and I told him I talked to a lawyer about it the night before.  I wrote the letter with details, witnesses and actions I witnessed him do to others.  He was asked to leave as soon as my boss read the letter.   I didn't think that would happen, I thought he would be off for 3 days and made to go to counceling. I feared for my life and his own life. My boss had him stay off for two weeks until an investagation was over. My boss told me that 13 people ripped him to peices with their own stories and what they witnessed him do to others. My boss said he didn't have the heart to fire him.  I didn't intend for that, I just wanted him to stop, get some counceling. The harasser is a sort of stalker, her knows where everyone lives what we drive, what our house look like.  He spends all day on the comp. at work looking up public records sites that he actually pays a fee for. So I became very worried for me, my family, people at work.  We had a meeting before he came back. He didn't find a councelor in 2 weeks off, he didn't apologize, he basiclly whined to my boss how he needs his job. My boss proceeded to yell at me.  and threaten to put me in the back of the building and work with people I dont know. And he slammed his hand on his desk and told me we never had a problem like this ever! (I wanted to say because everyone is terrified of you.I know for a fact that there are many many verbal complaints.)Lawyers never got involved before. I did retain a lawyer, he wanted $500.00 and he told me just from the letter I wrote he could see 3 charges. So I paid (My cousin Vinny) He did nothing. No phone calls or letters to my boss, NOTHING.  He told me I have to wait for him to do more things to press charges.  I told him I am already damaged from all his harassment.  I lasted 3 and a half days at work with the harasser, I thought I was going to faint. He was laughing and joking around.  The people who trashed him to my bosses lawyer were so mad that he was not fired. So they joined to be his buddy and treated me like crap.  My bosses son and the plant manager wanted him fired. I have my suspitions about my boss and the harasser now. Maybe they had a past, something.  I am on FMLA for 2 more weeks. I called a different attorney office of all females(which I should have done in the first place)  They won't take me.  They gave me the # to the Bar Assoc. and said other lawyers will take you. we just don't work like that!  I'm trying to get my confidence back, I have always been a good worker, now I feel like I was never anything valuable to my boss. I know thats just in my head, but it's hard to get it out. I also see a therapist once a week now.   I guess I had a lot to say........sorry!

• 10-07-2009 8:20 AM In reply to

Re: sexual harassment

So why haven't you filed a complaint with the EEOC or the state equivalent YEARS ago?  You can't sue without a "right to sue" letter from one of those agencies.

• 10-07-2009 10:18 AM In reply to

• Cica
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-23-2003
    • Posts 6,520

Re: sexual harassment

Anitasam:
    I did retain a lawyer, he wanted $500.00 and he told me just from the letter I wrote he could see 3 charges. So I paid (My cousin Vinny) He did nothing. No phone calls or letters to my boss, NOTHING. He told me I have to wait for him to do more things to press charges

I don't know the timespan involved from the attorney hire date to your conclusion that the attorney was "doing nothing," but just because you pay a retainer doesn't mean that everything will suddenly go away.  The attorney can inform the employer that a complaint was been made with his office, but charges can't be filed until he receives right-to-sue from EEOC.

Also, the fact that you've put up with this for 10 years and NOW have hired an attorney makes it appear that you were passive.

Anitasam:
    I finally wrote a letter to my boss

"Finally?"  As in 10 years later?

Anitasam:
    I have given verbal complaints at least 25 times in the last ten years.

In other words your ratio was about 2 complaints : work year, but the other couple of hundred work days were tolerable?  The "fear" element doesn't exactly fit in if you were tolerating it for 10 years. 

Anyway, your option is to keep attorney searching or contact EEOC.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community