The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

add father to birth certificate in new york

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Mon, Oct 12 2009 5:27 PM by LynnM. 2 replies.
  • Thu, Oct 8 2009 10:45 PM

add father to birth certificate in new york

hi im just wondering my now husband and i were not married when our son was born he has my maiden name and no father on his birth certificate,, how can i change his last name and add his father to the birth certificate? we now live in indiana, my son is almost 5 years old now,  thank you for all your answers and help

• Sun, Oct 11 2009 10:05 PM In reply to

Re: add father to birth certificate in new york

You can call your local child support enforcement agency for a paternity acknowledgement form and it can be done that way. Both parents need to sign this form and sign in front of a notary. Be sure to have photo id with you as well.

»-(¯`v´¯)-» Kimberly »-(¯`v´¯)-»

• Mon, Oct 12 2009 5:27 PM In reply to

• LynnM
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 3 2000
    • CA
    • Posts 28,248

Re: add father to birth certificate in new york

I'd be surprised if the child support agency is the way to go in Indiana. particularrly since you are now married I would assume there's no order in place.

It is likely you will need a DNA test to confirm paternity. Then check with the dept that handles birth certificates about the way to make a correction.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community