17 Year old Michigan Runaway

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 11-17-2009 12:32 PM by LynnM. 9 replies.
  • 10-27-2009 3:51 AM

• amietay
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-23-2009
    • MI
    • Posts 2

17 Year old Michigan Runaway

Hello,
     I am wondering, my situation at home has grown increasingly worse. I am 17 living with my father in Michigan. My best friend and her family have agreed to take me in and I will be going to school for another year. I was told that under Michigan law I can leave the house at 17 and the police will not consider me a runaway. I have a good place to go, one far better than the situation currently. Is this true or will my friends family get into trouble taking me in. Thank you for any help. Priah

• 10-27-2009 11:11 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,312

Re: 17 Year old Michigan Runaway

Laymans take:

The runaway and homeless youth acts are primarly designed to provide help for kids who would otherwise be homeless.  My guess is that if you have a safe roof  over your head you would not be a priority item for anyone to address in a police context.

That said, if Dad wants you back --for good or bad reasons (as in you are his meal ticket for some public benefits) Dad may be able to insist upon your return

Aslo, if friends are in different school district the school districts could balk as to who is right district. That all too easy to end run in my state of PA but I'm not sure about  MI.

If you have health issues your coverage might matter if you were not a dependent of person named on policy.

And in that context, if you needed parental permission for anything your hosts would be unable to assist.

And if your welcome mat with hosts wears out you might truly become homeless.

My view--it probably can work OK but its not without some possible bumps in road.

What are the problems at home--if they involve physical or sexual abuse visited upon you its possible that you could engineer being taken out of said home by CPS or equivalent and placed with willing host by order--AND you host would get some support as to your costs and perhaps some medical coverage as well. At least consider if the shoe fits to use the shoe.

That said I strongly urge you to get a decent education--including a college degree.  Holding a degree does not assure success but lack of a degree, especially a real HS diploma , but also a college degree is a real barrier for a lot of folks. And a simple criminal conviction record can be deadly as to a lot of job options --so keep your coat tails clean!

Best of Luck.  Make good things happen!

• 10-29-2009 1:33 PM In reply to

Usually, incorrect . . .

Even if you aren't a runaway, you are still a juvenile and you are subject to the custody of your parents.  There will be a vehicle through which he can assert his rights.  Anybody interfering with that would normally have potential liability in some manner.

• 10-29-2009 1:51 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,312

Agree--no legal problem to take you in--BUT if Dad demands you come back, your hosts can get in trouble if they assist you or interfere with his getting you back or even if they refuse to send you back.....they are now interfereing with his parental rights..............

• 10-29-2009 1:52 PM In reply to

Whether the police choose to act or not your father can still go to court and get an order for your return. If the parents interfere they will be held in contempt.

• 11-01-2009 5:33 PM In reply to

• amietay
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-23-2009
    • MI
    • Posts 2

Well after further research I have found out that no the courts cannot do anything about my return. Once I am 17 I am not loger considered a child in Michigan. The people I will be staying with cannot get into trouble for helping me. I have had the help of a counselor and may even get legal aid if its needed. Michigan laws seem to be different than most states when it comes to 17 year olds.

• 11-17-2009 7:49 AM In reply to

• LisaX
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-17-2009
    • MI
    • Posts 2

I am really interested in finding the information you've referred to in your post.  Can you point me in the right direction?  My niece has a similar situation and she would like to come live with me.  I appreciate any help you can give me.  Good luck to you.

• 11-17-2009 7:58 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,312

What cite do you have for that view of MI law--the general MI law to self emancipate other than turning  18 is to join military or to get married  or for medical necessity--otherwise it requires a court order IF Dad choses to object.

You may get such an order post 16 if its clear Dad provides no support .

Many states have quiks.

What quirk in MI law supports your view that  you cannot be returned to Dad if Dad so insists?

• 11-17-2009 8:07 AM In reply to

• LisaX
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-17-2009
    • MI
    • Posts 2

I would like to speak with someone who has specific knowledge of this subject.  Are you an attorney or do you work for a law firm. Can I contact you?  Thank you.

• 11-17-2009 12:32 PM In reply to

Unless you have had a LAWYER tell you that, don't count on it. You are not an adult until you are 18. If the state has to support you in anyway they will go after your father for reimbursement. And while the police may or may not choose to get involved a court will have no problem ordering you to return to your father and punishing anyone who interferes with his custody.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community