pretrial hearing for custody

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 11-16-2009 7:46 PM by joe_robb. 6 replies.
  • 11-16-2009 9:07 AM

• joe_robb
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-16-2009
    • VA
    • Posts 4

pretrial hearing for custody

i got to court next monday for custody for my 9 month old. i pay child support and the mother will not let me she her ,it has been a battle with he r to see my child.she told me she was not going to show up court so what can i do to get to she her if she dosnt show and we live in diffrent states i have this court date for two months and she no's that she needs to be there so i could use help on this 1 thanx

• 11-16-2009 9:36 AM In reply to

• joe_robb
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-16-2009
    • VA
    • Posts 4

Re: pretrial hearing for custody

AND WHAT HAPPENS IF SHE DOSNT TAKE THE PARENT EDUCATIN PROGRAM

• 11-16-2009 9:42 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,591

Do you have court ordered visitations which Mom is refusing to allow?  If thats the case why are you not seeking sanctions/costs as well?

Generally if the enemy is a no show it makes your side a whole lot easier--but I think it is critical that you use counsel to exploit your tactical advantages!

In short I think you are foolish to go w/o counsel--you want a paid advocate.

You probably won't get full custody --but its possible that child is ordered returned to your jurisdiction (if that was starting point) and you get primay custody and Mom gets visitation--its NOT common --but if Mom is a no show and you have properly stages it you may get most of waht you seek...

I predict if you do not use counsel you come away with only modest/trivial changes in your favor.

• 11-16-2009 10:44 AM In reply to

• SPlum
      Consumer
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-11-2008
    • Posts 915

Paying child support does not give you visitation rights or custodial rights, you would have had to file for that.  If you had no court ordered visistation, she was under no obligation at all to let you see the child.

Did you have court ordered visitation and she refused ?  It is very unlikely the courts will give you custody, particularly since you are in different states and the age of the child. 

How do you know she knows about the hearing? Was she served notice?

• 11-16-2009 1:15 PM In reply to

Your heading is "pretrial hearing";  generlly,  a pretrial hearing is just to make sure everything is in place for the actual custody hearing which is scheduled sometime after . 

• 11-16-2009 7:44 PM In reply to

• joe_robb
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-16-2009
    • VA
    • Posts 4

no this the first for court and she was served but she left the state with out written notice witch is a va law so im really not sure what to expect out of this

• 11-16-2009 7:46 PM In reply to

• joe_robb
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-16-2009
    • VA
    • Posts 4

will they set up at the pretrial to let me see my child and i was told if she dosnt show up too it i can see the judge and set up for vistation

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community