Hitting a person with a car

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 12-16-2009 9:32 PM by Sharon - Community Moderator (Admin). 9 replies.
  • 12-15-2009 9:16 AM

Hitting a person with a car

My boyfriend just recently was in a accident with a person. He was backing up his car and a guy was riding his bike in the middle of the street. My boyfriend hit the rack on the back of his bike. The guy never even fell to the ground. The guy came up and demanded money to not go to the police, and when my boyfriend said no, the guy on the bike left. So my boyfriend went to the police station to file a report and the guy was already there, and because he got there first the cops are saying my boyfriend will end up in jail because he has no insurance, and now the guy is trying to sue him also. What can he do? Is there a way of paying out of pocket and staying out of court?

• 12-15-2009 12:22 PM In reply to

Re: Hitting a person with a car

HelpPlease123:
    the cops are saying my boyfriend will end up in jail because he has no insurance

Probably not jail, but big fines and maybe suspension of license and registration until he proves he has insurance which will cost him triple what he could have gotten it for before the accident.

You're boyfriend was an idiot for driving without insurance.

And he was negligent for backing out without looking where he was going. 

HelpPlease123:
    What can he do? Is there a way of paying out of pocket and staying out of court?

Sure.

He can negotiate a settlement with the guy on the bike for whatever provable injury or damage that was caused and get a signed release when he pays the money.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 12-15-2009 12:26 PM In reply to

But that will not affect the cops ability to charge him for the lack of insurance.

• 12-15-2009 12:40 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,585

Driving w/o insurance can get you $500 fine and 3 months loss of license/plates so it no laughing matter IF cops want to press the point. 

Not cool to esclate the issues!

Whether the cops will drop it entitely if BF adresses the bikers claims is hard to say --and needs to be explored with kid gloves and no further admission of any wrongdoing.

But BF bloody well get car insured!

• 12-15-2009 6:13 PM In reply to

he got insurance now but if he loses the law suit will that affect him on paying cause we are just worried about him going to jail he can pay out of pocket...he just got the car so didnt have time to insure it

• 12-15-2009 6:59 PM In reply to

HelpPlease123:
    he got insurance now but if he loses the law suit will that affect him on paying cause we are just worried about him going to jail he can pay out of pocket...

What lawsuit?

If he hasn't actually been sued yet he needs to get in front of this and see what it's going to take to settle with the guy he hit. It gets a lot more expensive when it goes to court.

HelpPlease123:
    ...he just got the car so didnt have time to insure it

[removed thinly disguised foul language]

Then he had no business driving it.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 12-16-2009 6:38 PM In reply to

some people have jobs they need to get to...and when his insurance agent is closed how is he supposed to get it transfered over from his wrecked car...mistakes happen and i needed a little advice on what to do with our problem not a lecture on what kind of person my boyfriend is

• 12-16-2009 6:42 PM In reply to

Unless you want us to lie to you there is not much to say.

Driving without insurance is illegal. Usually a phone call to the agent is all it takes.

• 12-16-2009 9:32 PM In reply to

Jack-

You know better than to post foul language.

Sharon

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community