Slander/libel/harrassm... Help!

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 12-22-2009 10:38 PM by Vadgue.1026. 7 replies.
  • 12-21-2009 6:27 PM

• doglady
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-03-2008
    • WI
    • Posts 23

Slander/libel/harrassm... Help!

This is such a long story, so I will try to condense it.

I raise and show dogs as a hobby, and am a professional groomer by profession.  I allowed a woman to move in with me, as I had known her for many years from dog shows.  She lived with me, paid virtually no rent and contributed nothing to the household, for 3 years.  Then she took two dogs from my home without permission, under the guise of going for a holiday visit.  It took me almost 2 years to locate a physical address, with the assistance of a PI.  During those two years she posted derrogatory comments and statements about me on message boards, going as far as to post a photo of one of my dogs and discussing what I paid for the dog.  She made many untrue statements about the care I provide my dogs, etc.  As soon as I was able to verify her address, I served her with a summons for small claims for replevin of my dogs.  I won the case, and after being awarded a writ of replevin and getting a sherrif's bond, I was able to recover my dogs.

Immediately after losing the case, she embarked on an even bigger smear campaign, going as far as creating a blog about it, stating I lied in court and stole the dogs.  (The link to the blog is :  http://howmydogswerest...  --I post this so you can get the whole picture of what she is saying)

With regard to the  comments about me selling her the dogs back, her attorney offered my attorney the $2000 the day of our final court date.  I did reject the offer.  After several posts on various message boards by her, I wondered to myself if she might quit the attacks if I did sell her the dogs back.  After totalling up all of my expenses and legal fees, time, etc, I did tell her that I would sell them to her for $3000, which she refused.  After another 5 months of abuse and harrassment on message boards, and via e-mail and posts on her website, I have really had enough.  The dogs are not the same dogs I used to own....I don't know how she cared for them, or what she did, but they just are not the same.  Two and a half years away from me, and they are not the dogs I owned.

My worry is that, because I am in a "dog-related" profession, her blog and other attqcks may be harming my business.  Statements that I do not vaccinate could scare people away from bringing their dogs to me.  I have no way of determining this for sure, but it does cause me concern.  I am licensed and inspected, and provided a copy of the inspection report, documenting the rabies certificates on every dog on my property, to her attorney, so she knows that she is making false statements.

Again, this is 3 years of continual crap from her, and really, I just want it to stop.  I want to move on with my life, and she seems to want to wallow in this.  Do I have any recourse??

Thank you!

• 12-21-2009 8:55 PM In reply to

Re: Slander/libel/harrassm... Help!

Read what you wrote:

doglady:
    I have no way of determining this for sure
    doglady:
    could scare people away
    doglady:
    may be harming my business.

Unless you can prove (not just say) a monetary business loss in quantifiable dollars attributed to her remarks, then you basically have nothing to sue for.

With one slight exception. Some states have a statutory civil penalty for defamation when you aren't able to quantify the monetary damages. Still, you'd need to prove (not just say) that her remarks rise to the level of defamation.

Consult an attorney who specializes in defamation lawsuits and review your options.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 12-21-2009 9:02 PM In reply to

• doglady
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-03-2008
    • WI
    • Posts 23

Thanks, adjusterjack!  Can you believe I am still dealing with this!?!?!  It feels like it has gone on forever!  Now, hoping I can find a "defamation" lawyer who will give me a free initial consult!  Would I look under personal injury, or something else??  And I assume I should find one with some internet/cyber experience????

• 12-21-2009 9:37 PM In reply to

Google defamation lawyer and the name of your city or the other party's city (as you'll probably have to sue her where she is located.

doglady:
    And I assume I should find one with some internet/cyber experience????

I'm guessing that all defamation lawyers have that experience by now. The internet has been around long enough.

• to keep and bear arms,
  • 12-22-2009 12:01 PM In reply to

Ok

Vadgue.1026:
    Thanks to Al Gore for inventing the internet.

I think you wrote that tongue in cheek but here's the facts, anyway.

Al Gore was born in 1948 so he must have been a genius as a teenager.

The development of what became the internet started around the late 50s, early 60's, with the connection of the first two nodes of ARPANET occurring in 1969.

Didn't take Adam and Jamie to bust that myth, just Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.or...

and Snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/...

• to keep and bear arms,
  • 12-22-2009 2:52 PM In reply to

Ah, yes, the man who would be king.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

My Community