As a mother giving up paternal rights

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Mon, Dec 28 2009 2:39 PM by kath21. 7 replies.
  • Sun, Dec 27 2009 8:03 AM

• modigs
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 27 2009
    • NY
    • Posts 2

As a mother giving up paternal rights

I am being investigated by CPS if i give up all rights to the father what does that mean? Will they leave me alone & if the father & I work things out can I be involved in her life? What if down the road we got married? Obviously all of these are what ifs. He is willing to take on this responsibilty. I just don't want to screw myself in the future if things go horribly wrong between the father & myself. PLEASE HELP!!!

• Sun, Dec 27 2009 10:29 AM In reply to

Re: As a mother giving up paternal rights

Why are you being investigated?  What is it that would cause this to have happened?  You are immediately moving toward giving up your rights?  Why?

• Sun, Dec 27 2009 1:05 PM In reply to

• modigs
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 27 2009
    • NY
    • Posts 2

No i'm not giving up my rights i was just curious & looking for advice. All of my questions are looking for advice based on a possible worse case scenario.

• Sun, Dec 27 2009 4:35 PM In reply to

CPS will still need to complete their investigation.  If custody is given to the father,  it is according to what the allegations are and the finding of the investigation as to what limitations, if any, there would be as to your contact with the child.  If father is given custody and there are no court proceedings or orders against you,  it would be up to the father to insure the safety of the child.  Generally, if CPS is no longer involved,  and father doesn't permit you the type of custody you want,  you would need to file a normal custody action.  Again, according to what the allegations are and the findings, they may or may not be relevant in a custody proceeding.

• Sun, Dec 27 2009 7:20 PM In reply to

You are right there are alot of what ifs here. Are you abusing or neglecting the children? If you were to lose the children to the father he would be foolish to marry you as again, he would not be looking out for the kids best interest. Focus on being a good mom for now and don't worry about the what if's. CPS does noyt get involved unless they can substantiate abuse or neglect.

• Mon, Dec 28 2009 2:05 PM In reply to

• kath21
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 18 2009
    • CA
    • Posts 4,451

Yes, if you legally give up rights to your child, you will probably NEVER see it again; dad won't have to give you ANYTHING regarding the child...don't listen to him if he's telling you diffferently (or base this all on a wish/dream that won't come true).

Now you know.

• Mon, Dec 28 2009 2:37 PM In reply to

1.  CPS must investigate if there is an allegation;  they do not only "get involved unless they can substantiate  abuse or neglect".  The majority of cases they investigate are unfounded.

2.  Father receiving custody does not mean you lose all rights;  that is called termination of parental rights- not transfer of custody.

• Mon, Dec 28 2009 2:39 PM In reply to

• kath21
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 18 2009
    • CA
    • Posts 4,451

"Father receiving custody does not mean you lose all rights;  that is called termination of parental rights- not transfer of custody."

Yes, just be SURE you know the difference.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community