a child and their stepparent sharing a bedroom

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Wed, Feb 9 2011 4:02 AM by Taxagent. 29 replies.
  • Sat, Jan 2 2010 2:00 PM

a child and their stepparent sharing a bedroom

Is it right/legal for my 8 yr old son to share a room with his half brother his dad and his stepmom? he says he sleeps on the floor in their room b/c of of his stepmoms nephew that is 9 is now living there and has my sons room. does this sound at all right to anyone? I need help. b/c i have no where else to turn to find out if this is legal in texas i am in oklahoma and i need to know if my son needs help and if i can give it to him

• Sat, Jan 2 2010 2:16 PM In reply to

Re: a child and their stepparent sharing a bedroom

mommyof42010:
    Is it right/legal for my 8 yr old son to share a room with his half brother his dad and his stepmom? he says he sleeps on the floor in their room b/c of of his stepmoms nephew that is 9 is now living there and has my sons room. does this sound at all right to anyone? I need help. b/c i have no where else to turn to find out if this is legal in texas i am in oklahoma and i need to know if my son needs help and if i can give it to him

I don't know about laws one way or the other but that kind of living arrangement is totally wrong and is certainly not in the best interests of an 8 year old.

I'd say call a lawyer in TX and bring it to court but I'm guessing you'll say you can't afford one.

Next best thing is to report the living arrangements to the local Child Protective Services and see if they'll take him out of there and send him back to you.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Sat, Jan 2 2010 2:24 PM In reply to

i have called CPS and they are looking like this is a way for me to get him back in to my home fulltime. and i have an attorney on retainer just in case but i like to do my own research on the laws of texas. but i didnt think this sounded right to me at all. I am married and well i wouldnt let my 6 yr old daughter share a room with me and my husband it isnt right and this needs to be addressed into law that a child over a certain age shall not share a room with stepparent.

• Sat, Jan 2 2010 2:32 PM In reply to

There are no such laws.  Many people only have limited space and must make do- doesn't make it right or wrong.

• Sat, Jan 2 2010 2:48 PM In reply to

they have a 2 bdrm house that they bought why shouldnt they have enough room? they have a 4 yr old son and her 9 yr old nephew there so why is it set up like this? and if they cant provide him a bdrm where will he be sleeping when hes 10 or 12 or 16? they said to the judge that they can provide a better life for him but from everything that my son has told me its a life of hell in that house. even to treating my son like he doesnt belong there and he has told me his stepmother hits him with shoes belts and a paddle. and for some reason CPS deems this as ok. and i only called on a certain situation that was brought to my attention this past week. someone else has called on them before but for some reason they dont care to talk to my son

• Sat, Jan 2 2010 11:00 PM In reply to

• LynnM
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 3 2000
    • CA
    • Posts 28,248

What they are doing does not violate any law. There's nothing illegal about a parent sleeping in the same room with the child.

• Sun, Jan 3 2010 2:45 AM In reply to

• helpme2009
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 13 2009
    • CA
    • Posts 98

I am by no means a lawyer but I would be more concerned about the stepmother hitting my child than the sleeping arrangements.

I can speak a little from experience with a situation similar to yours where a stepparent felt the need to use corporal punishment on my children. As a stepparent is considered a legal stranger and I am sure quite possibly the stepmother was given free rain from the dad to punish the children as happens in most cases. However, because they are a "stranger" in ever sense of the word, the police look at it differently than CPS. Where CPS may not have a problem, the police would consider it assault on a minor. I was informed that the process is as follows: file a police report (which can actually be done in your state when the child visits as a courtesy report) that is then sent to their state, they go to the other parents house, investigate and if allegations are proven to be true, the DA takes over and prosecutes.

With all this in mind, I would suggest you consult your attorney. Maybe its a matter of using this as leverage to prevent future assault.

• Sun, Jan 3 2010 3:45 AM In reply to

mommyof42010:
    Is it right/legal for my 8 yr old son to share a room with his half brother his dad and his stepmom?

Whether it's "right" is a moral judgment about which people will have differing views. My own view is that there is nothing inherently wrong with such an arrangement. While it certainly would be nice if they had more spacious sleeping arrangements, this kind of sleeping arrangement is not necessarily harmful. Some families due to financial limitations have to live in cramped space.

As for whether it is legal, no state regulates sleeping arrangements. It is not illegal for family members of whatever age or sex to sleep in the same room.

• Sun, Jan 3 2010 3:52 AM In reply to

adjuster jack:
    I don't know about laws one way or the other but that kind of living arrangement is totally wrong and is certainly not in the best interests of an 8 year old.

You're entitled to your views that it is wrong, Jack, but not everyone will agree with you. Simply sharing a bedroom is not, in my view, "totally wrong." There is nothing necessarily harmful about such an arrangement. My aunts and uncles grew up in a large family and due to limited space in the farmstead they had to share rooms. They turned out just fine. I certainly wouldn't want the state coming in and dictating sleeping arrangments—that's not an appropriate role for the state. As for being in the best interests of the child, you don't know all the facts and are not suited to make that call. The poster here can contact CPS if she wishes, but don't hold your breath that they'll act. Unless the situation is resulting in abuse or neglect, they won't take the kid from the home. The poster might fare better filing for a change in custody/visitation if this bothers her that much.

• Mon, Jan 4 2010 8:41 AM In reply to

i do know in texas opposite sex siblings cant share a room when one hits 5 yrs of age or older. what i cant understand is why is it my child has to sleep in their room on the floor and her child and nephew get a bed. it seems that everything they put me and my son through was out of spite and that they think nothing can be done about it. i tried filing a police report here for a sexual matter that my son had brought to my attention but they couldnt help me b/c my son isnt 13 and cant make a statement to the police i would have to take him to his police station. and since it was very hard on me to drive all that way i couldnt do it again so the next best thing i could do was have a cps worker come in to my home and take the report. but like everyone has said they only do what is neccessary to them. so my son went home with his dad on sat. but not without a few words from me i kept it civil as i could and not infront of our child. his wife has been calling the shots way too long when it comes to our son and i am tired of it. and i told him next time she decides to call the police on me when i have the right to pick up my son she better call an ambulance. i also told him that i no longer want her on or near my property and i will file a restraining order against her again. yes she had attacked me once before while my son was in my arms. and for some reason they still let this nutcase have kids.

• Mon, Jan 4 2010 12:01 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,644

Now you and I as taxpayers pay for separate bedrooms for may a person on welfare--but aside from that I doubt there is a law on point about sharing a room--and what you may think is incorrect is probably not a violation of any law. It may be time to mind your own business.

Now if there was some occupancy cap and physical safety concern to not pack say 9 people in a 2 room unit that might be different--but thats not you post.

Now if I were an 8 year old who" lost his room" to a 9 year old I'd have 101 tales to try to get it back--you might be wiser to just tune the kid out.....

• Mon, Jan 4 2010 12:17 PM In reply to

if it wasnt my child i would mind my own business. but this is my 8 yr old son i am talking about and worried about. and lets say you had an ex wife and her husband shared a room with your 8 yr old daughter and they did "adult" stuff while your daughter slept on the floor what would you do or say? im sorry you think this is all about being a taxpayer its not. My ex stated they bought a home with 2 bdrms and his wife decided a yr ago to bring her nephew from mexico along with her mother to live in there. they should have bought a bigger house. and my son isnt lying i had seen this when i picked him up this past visitation. and when you have a child telling you this and asking you what certain adult words mean you know in your heart what he has seen too. i posted this b/c i am trying to find out if this is grounds for removal or if i am going to have to wait till he is 12 yrs old and can move here and be in therapy his whole life.

• Mon, Jan 4 2010 12:23 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,644

I'm am sure that lots of kids share a room with older folks engaged in adult activities---It may not be good logic but I'm not sure its illegal or abusive.

If the relatives came from Mexico w/o benefit of lawful entry--why not inform INS?

Yes, in TX at age 12 and up the system allows for kids to be heard--not necessarily that court will weigh it way you want it weighed.

• Mon, Jan 4 2010 12:38 PM In reply to

• kath21
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 18 2009
    • CA
    • Posts 4,451

Frankly, I'd a be a LOT more concerned about the abuse than the sleeping arrangements...and I think a court would be, too.

• Tue, Jan 5 2010 9:11 AM In reply to

yeah well they arent doing anything about the abuse either b/c by the time i can have him again the marks are gone

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community