Cited with obstructing a peace officer. I think?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 01-07-2010 7:32 PM by tad00595. 5 replies.
  • 01-02-2010 9:07 PM

• tad00595
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-03-2010
    • NE
    • Posts 3

Cited with obstructing a peace officer. I think?

I received a citation in december for "hindering, interfering, and detering arrest"(that's all that is written on the ticket). I've done some research and am thinking this means I am being charged with Obstructing a Peace Officer.

My citation says I must appear in court for this. If this is indeed what I'm being charged with it is  a Class I felony in Nebraska carrying up to a 12 months jail sentence and a fine.  I have no priors at all and think I'd likely get off with a fine maybe probation at most but I'm not sure if I should risk it by pleading guilty or no contest, and i really can't afford an attorney. at the same time the offense happened in a different city from where I live so I really don't want to have to take work off and travel too much. So I'd like to just get it over with.  The charge stems from a drunken night out on the town when I unknowingly grabbed a cops' jacket after a fight broke out(tore a button off of it). It was dark out he didn't look like a cop and I had just recieved an ass kicking before being pulled out of the pile by the same cop I allegedly ... Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 01-02-2010 9:42 PM In reply to

Re: Cited with obstructing a peace officer. I think?

No attorneys for NE currently follow these boards.  If the charge is indeed a felony, you would be a fool not to have counsel.  Felonies carry serious consequences that will change your life forever and are not something to shrug off simply because you don't want to deal with having to "travel too much."  Get a lawyer.

• 01-02-2010 10:19 PM In reply to

• tad00595
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-03-2010
    • NE
    • Posts 3

I'm sorry I meant to say Obstructing a Peace Officer is a Class I Misdemeanor not felony.

tad00595:
    I received a citation in december for "hindering, interfering, and detering arrest"(that's all that is written on the ticket). I've done some research and am thinking this means I am being charged with Obstructing a Peace Officer. My citation says I must appear in court for this. If this is indeed what I'm being charged with it is a Class I felony in Nebraska carrying up to a 12 months jail sentence and a fine. I have no priors at all and think I'd likely get off with a fine maybe probation at most but I'm not sure if I should risk it by pleading guilty or no contest, and i really can't afford an attorney. at the same time the offense happened in a different city from where I live so I really don't want to have to take work off and travel too much. So I'd like to just get it over with. The charge stems from a drunken night out on the town when I unknowingly grabbed a cops' jacket after a fight broke out(tore a button off of it). It was dark out he didn't look like a cop and I had just recieved an ass kicking before being pulled out of the pile by the same cop I allegedly ... Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

• 01-03-2010 11:50 AM In reply to

Even a misdemeanor is a CRIMINAL RECORD.

You can't afford NOT to have a lawyer.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 01-07-2010 7:32 PM In reply to

• tad00595
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-03-2010
    • NE
    • Posts 3

well I had my court date for this offense and just wanted to finish this post by sharing what happened.  This was in county court and was my arraingment.  The judge called me up to his bench and read the charge, he asked if I had any questions and how I'd like to plead (guilty, not guilty or no contest).  I asked what my sentence would be and he said it would probaly be 250 with no jail time, and he'd put it down as an infraction rather than a misdemeanor. Then  he asked the prosecutor if she objected and she said no.   I figured that was better than trying to argue it and having to hire an attorney and pay additional court costs.  So i just plead no contest and got the fine.

Thanks for all the helpful advice

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community