Lawyer Charges will they settle for less?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 01-26-2010 7:33 PM by LynnM. 5 replies.
  • 01-26-2010 4:30 PM

Lawyer Charges will they settle for less?

I obtained a lawyer for my divorce, after the initial rule nisi and some other paperwork I told my lawyer that I no longer have the money to pay them to continue with the case.

They sent in a letter to the judge to withdraw from my case, which I expected.  I resently requested that they send me a final itemized bill, (can you believe they charged me for sending in a letter to withdraw from my case to the judge?), sorry I digress.  The final bill is for more than I have available to pay to them.

The question I have is, would or do lawyers settle for less for example the last account is for $6500 I only have $6000 available.  I dont want to just pay them what I have and end up owing them the rest later, I would prefer to just be done with them.

Thanks for the feedback.

p.s. any ideas on how to obtain a good lawyer that would not cost me the earth would also be helpful, or wishful?

• 01-26-2010 4:42 PM In reply to

• Kivi
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-01-2005
    • CA
    • Posts 6,082

Re: Lawyer Charges will they settle for less?

Can they agree to accept less than the total amount that you owe?  Sure, it's strictly a business decision.

Do they have to accept less than the total amount that you owe?  No, they can choose to  dun you for the remaining $500 (or whatever the difference is between what you owe and what you pay), send the remaining $500 to a collection agency, etc.

You always can ask.  The worse tht could happen is that they say no. 

• 01-26-2010 4:50 PM In reply to

• Kivi
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-01-2005
    • CA
    • Posts 6,082

More  Make that "the worse that could happen at this stage is that they say "no".

You then would have to decide for yourself what to do next.

• 01-26-2010 4:56 PM In reply to

Thanks, I will try asking and make sure they send me a final bill if they agree that shows I have paid in full.

• 01-26-2010 5:05 PM In reply to

If you are prepared to pay cash for a 10% or 20% discount, then it's possible that the lawyer will accept it.

Just make sure you get it in writing.

If you have less cash than that or want payments, it's probably not going to get reduced from the actual amount.

As for getting lower fees, you'll just have to call around and ask what the hourly rate is and how it's applied to the work they do.

Oh, you'll probably find that they'll charge you for the time it takes to write up the itemized bill, too.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 01-26-2010 7:33 PM In reply to

All you can do is ask.

Would you settle for less if your employer owed you your paycheck?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community