How do I give Guardianship to Grandma?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 02-01-2010 10:56 AM by ClydesMom. 3 replies.
  • 01-31-2010 5:40 PM

• wdeland78
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-31-2010
    • FL
    • Posts 2

How do I give Guardianship to Grandma?

Hello all,

I am looking for some advice. I have custody of my 13 year old son, and he wants to go live with Dad and Grammy. I am okay with this, as he is not doing great with us.

Dad pays support to me for him and my daughter, court ordered.

My question is, what is the best way to give his mother guardianship, so she can get him on insurance, and get him in school? I hate to have to go through courts, etc, since we all agree. And my child support is low, so I don't want to mess with that, either.

Any advice? Are there any forms I can simply fill out, without chaning it all in court?

Thank you,

Wendy

• 01-31-2010 6:23 PM In reply to

Re: How do I give Guardianship to Grandma?

In order for Grandma to claim him on insurance, provide decision making legally, and medical care the guardianship will have to go through the courts.  Also once it is formally changed the child support goes to Grandma for the son, not you.  You cannot collect child support on a son you aren't raising.  Since everyone is in agreement you can probably file yourself with the court.  Check with the clerk for the proper forms.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• 02-01-2010 10:50 AM In reply to

• wdeland78
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-31-2010
    • FL
    • Posts 2

I think I should have clarified more...I have 2 children, and was divorced from their father in 98. He has paid $105 total since then. I know child support is supposed to be around 20%,and I know mine is not near that. I thought if it didn't go through the courts, we wouldn't have to mess with it. I did not mean I wanted to keep the support when I did not have my son, I meant that I thought it would end up being at least as much formy daughter, so why mess with it? If the custody/guardianship has to go through the courts, then that is a different story.

I guess I will call the clerks office, see what has to be done.

Thank you,

Wendy

• 02-01-2010 10:56 AM In reply to

Child support aside the best way is to file it formally through the courts.  Most insurance policies will not place a child on there without proof of birth, adoption, or guardianship.  Also if Grandma has to make legal decisions or medical ones they are going to want proof of guardianship as well.  It is in the best interest of the child to do this right the first time rather than have something go wrong at the worst moment.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community