Question about workplace bullying in Pennsylvania

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 02-18-2010 9:25 AM by patjenks. 13 replies.
  • 02-03-2010 12:52 PM

Question about workplace bullying in Pennsylvania

My daughter called me today from work very upset; she was assisting a dental procedure, during which she was admonished for changing her gloves (as instructed by the practice) by being forcefully grabbed by the arm.  She then had to force the release of her arm and left the room.  There is no physical injury involved.  This is not the first instance of bullying behavior by this particular person, who was just hired within the last week (and is not involved with the management of the practice), however it is the first instance that involved my daughter.  This person at first denied the incident to the office manager, then completely downplayed the event saying he "bumped" her with his wrist. He then took a very angry tone toward my daughter in the meeting.  She feels harassed, scared, and is now very uncomfortable.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

• 02-03-2010 1:06 PM In reply to

• cbg
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-21-2000
    • MA
    • Posts 6,778

Re: Question about workplace bullying in Pennsylvania

There are at present no laws in any state in the US addressing, "bullying".

I suppose she could go to the police and make a complaint of assault (or would it be battery?) but that's about it.

• 02-03-2010 1:13 PM In reply to

Thank you for your response.  I have advised her to do exactly that, but I guess we are wondering what the repercussions would be as far as her being able to continue employment with this company.  As an at will state, would this be grounds for her dismissal?

• 02-03-2010 2:09 PM In reply to

Honestly I think it would be a mistake to take this to the police. There's nothing to prove it ever happened, for one thing.

• 02-03-2010 2:11 PM In reply to

And she sustained no injuries.  Probably isn't going to put it at the top of the list for police investigation.

• 02-03-2010 2:49 PM In reply to

As I stated before, this is the first known physical act.  I didn't mention the fact that this did happen in front of a patient.  Another incident involved another employee, as act that would be regarded as sexual harassment.  One more was trying to force another assistant to complete a procedure which she was not qualified to do, and which she ultimately refused to do, resulting in another loud reprimand.  At this point, my daughter has updated me that all three incidents are being filed in a report which will be sent to the company's head HR Dept.  I hope the result of that will be satisfactory.

I have done much research on workplace bullying and harassment since my original post, and have found encouraging efforts toward law reform to include non-sexual harassment as a valid claim. 

I do appreciate all of your responses Ok

• 02-03-2010 2:50 PM In reply to

As I stated before, this is the first known physical act.  I didn't mention the fact that this did happen in front of a patient.  Another incident involved another employee, as act that would be regarded as sexual harassment.  One more was trying to force another assistant to complete a procedure which she was not qualified to do, and which she ultimately refused to do, resulting in another loud reprimand.  At this point, my daughter has updated me that all three incidents are being filed in a report which will be sent to the company's head HR Dept.  I hope the result of that will be satisfactory.

I have done much research on workplace bullying and harassment since my original post, and have found encouraging efforts toward law reform to include non-sexual harassment as a valid claim. 

• 02-03-2010 2:51 PM In reply to

• 02-03-2010 2:52 PM In reply to

Elise53102:

We would be interested in knowing what those might be.

In the meantime, daughter could encourage the victim of sexual harassment to contact the EEOC.

• 02-03-2010 3:12 PM In reply to

I found some sites, but unfortunately didn't bookmark all.  This particular site offerd information and links to pending legislation.  http://workplacebullyi...

• 02-03-2010 4:36 PM In reply to

• cbg
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-21-2000
    • MA
    • Posts 6,778

When it is no longer pending and is actually signed into law, then we can discuss it. Until then, it is not illegal to be a jerk. If it were, we would need a whole lot more jails.

• 02-10-2010 3:38 PM In reply to

Regarding the incident in the dental office: There currently is no legislation anywhee in the US that assists people at work with regard to workplace bullying. Harassment, which is different, is legislated. Harassment covers issues such as gender, disability, sexual orientation, and sometimes can cover 'unwelcomed behaviors'. Nevertheless, the law does not cover any incidences such as this. The interpersonal nature of workplace expectations comes to mind. You might want to check out www.BullyFreeatWork.com as this site is dedicated to assisting people at work with respect to 'how to handle' the difficult people situations/ bullying and more specifically, what to do about it. The book, Bully Free at Work which is on over 100 countries worldwide also addresses the step by step process of hw to hold co-workers accountable as well as creating a bully free at work workplace.

• 02-10-2010 4:37 PM In reply to

Thank you for the information about that site.  I will look into it for future reference.

In regard to this situation, the head dentist took my daughter seriously, and thankfully she will never have to assist that particular person again.  Also, she was informed that his employment is temporary through the end of February.  Turned out pretty well I think!

• 02-18-2010 9:25 AM In reply to

• patjenks
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-18-2010
    • CA
    • Posts 1

Another good site is http://www.ebosswatch.com  It contains a lot of information about workplace bullying and toxic bosses.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community