Unprofessional behavior

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 03-01-2010 9:43 AM by Beth3. 3 replies.
  • 02-27-2010 12:34 PM

• misserin
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-27-2010
    • IN
    • Posts 2

Unprofessional behavior

Normal 0 0 1 127 728 6 1 894 11.768 0 0 0

I had to call off from my job in the state of Indiana, because I had an emergency with my sister. I called of three hours before I was supposed to go in. When I called my manager, I was told that she did not have a babysitter and that I couldn't call off. I was then told I needed to find someone to cover my shift even though I have never seen in writing that was the policy. I was then told that she would find a replacement for me for the rest of the week because I am calling off. When I told her I have never called off before and I come in when she needs me and this is not ground for me to be fired, she then switched it to "I will find a back up all week for you in case you decide to call off again." My question is, if I am fired will they have just grounds to do so? Also, where is the line that is crossed from behaving in a professional manner to being unprofessional? What are the laws in Indiana to calling off? Am I required by state law to find a replacement for my ***?

• 02-27-2010 12:35 PM In reply to

• misserin
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-27-2010
    • IN
    • Posts 2

Re: Unprofessional behavior

I thought I typed shift at the end but I guess I typed something else...oops.

• 02-27-2010 1:18 PM In reply to

They can fire you for any reason or no reason at all as long as it's not illegal discrimination (and it's not).

Then can object to your taking time off from your normal work day.

They can behave unprofessionally. Nothing illegal about that.

You are not required by law to find a replacement, but your employer is not required by law to continue your employment if you don't do as you are told.

The employer's rules and desires do not need to be in writing to be enforced.

If you get fired under these circumstances, you would probably qualify for unemployment.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 03-01-2010 9:43 AM In reply to

My question is, if I am fired will they have just grounds to do so?  Your employer doesn't need "just grounds" to terminate your employment.

Also, where is the line that is crossed from behaving in a professional manner to being unprofessional?  That's not a legal issue; it's entirely a matter of individual opinion.

What are the laws in Indiana to calling off?  There are none.

Am I required by state law to find a replacement for my ***?  No but your employer is free to require you to do so.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community