Harrassment and mockery at workplace

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Wed, Mar 17 2010 2:53 AM by ericwilliam. 4 replies.
  • Thu, Mar 11 2010 12:24 PM

• gloria33
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 5 2006
    • FL
    • Posts 4

Harrassment and mockery at workplace

A good frind of mind is so stressed that I am afraid he may get really ill; he can't hardly eat nor sleep and  has terrible nightmares.

As I understand at his place of work the owners are committing IRS fraud, like paying  personal expenses as business expenses ; salaries to various bogus  emplo... ( family members) and even   ... money laundering . He has worked there for 10 years in charge of accounting but has refused to get involved  and has told the owners so and that what they are doing is illegal but they play dumb . Owners have some other people doing the illegalities they want done but apparently had enough of my friend  and are putting pressure on him in various ways so thay he gets "involved" or that he quits. What are his options?  Which  lawyers specialize in this type of defense? Can you sue in a case like this if you get fired?

Thanks for your help

• Thu, Mar 11 2010 12:40 PM In reply to

• LynnM
      Lawyer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 3 2000
    • CA
    • Posts 28,248

Re: Harrassment and mockery at workplace

He needs to report the misconduct to the IRS and state tax authorities. If he is fired for doing that, he is protected as a whistleblower.

• Thu, Mar 11 2010 12:52 PM In reply to

• Beth3
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 24 2001
    • Posts 5,466

How does your friend know that the owners aren't reporting the paid personal expenses as taxable income?  It's not illegal to have the company do that as long as it's reported as income and taxed appropriately.  I do understand your friend may be in a position to know that's not happening though if he's preparing the year-end W-2s.  

It's not against the law to put family members on the payroll even if they don't do a day's work.  As for money laundering, well, that's way out of my league to even comment on.

I suggest your friend start looking for a new job pronto.  Can't understand why he's stayed there for a whole decade with this going on.  And, as Lynn said, he's free to report the fraud to the federal IRS and the State IRS.

• Thu, Mar 11 2010 1:07 PM In reply to

If, indeed, your friend's employers are committing tax fraud, IMO he's a fool to stay employed there. As the one in charge of accounting, who do you think the IRS will suspect was involved with this? He'd certainly be one of the targets of the investigation given his position in the company. Your friend may find that it's not that easy to convince the IRS he had no part in it should the IRS come around investigating.

In general, if the employer fires him for not doing the accounting the way they want it done, there isn't much he can do about that, even if what they want done is improper.

• Wed, Mar 17 2010 2:53 AM In reply to

• ericwilliam
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 17 2010
    • TN
    • Posts 1

Hello,

I suggest your friend start looking for a new job pronto.  Can't understand why he's stayed there for a whole decade with this going on.  And, as Lynn said, he's free to report the fraud to the federal IRS and the State IRS.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community